News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Shadowlining

Started by Nutz, 01 February 2010, 04:29 PM

Martin 280s

I wish my grill badge looked that good, the paint wore off many moons passed!

oscar

That's looking awsome nutz.  Interesting you mention the "board shaper".   I've wanted to do a fibreglass hood and scratchbuilt fibreglass front spoiler for the bumperless track car.  Long way off but will be keen to see what you come up with.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Nutz

Martin, yeah, this is the best condition grill badge I've ever had on any MB.

Oscar, I haven't seen your track car...link?

Update.

As it stands now, I may not get anything done today seeing that it is raining as of now @6 am. I'm getting so impatient, but we all know what happens to paint when humidity is high. :( Humidity currently 68%

Mforcer

Quote from: Nutz on 01 February 2010, 09:15 PM
Anyone know if AMG's used the same basic grill badge, or was the blue actually black? I searched all over the net, but couldn't find a decent closeup of a true AMG.

All my higher res photos show the standard badge and that is what I remember too. I did think it looked a little out of place though. The issue with painting the badge is that you may lose its fine details.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Nutz

Weather cleared up :) Hopefully I'll have something up this evening.

oscar

QuoteOscar, I haven't seen your track car...link?
The upcoming long term project is here http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/'red-hog'-my-next-project/ but it's mothballed until I know what I'm doing and the bank gives me more money....or I rob one

You might've seen the other one, the 280S, "POVO"?  It's latest outing was in Nov last year and I'll be using its body to see if I can build moulds for the extra body work. http://forum.w116.org/the-org/teamw116-sandown-cup-day-sprint/ . I've wanted to post on w123gassers when I get forced induction to add to the list of blown m110s but that planned upgrade over xmas didn't happen.  Everything's stalled for the moment.

Quote from: Mforcer on 03 February 2010, 03:13 PM
All my higher res photos show the standard badge and that is what I remember too. I did think it looked a little out of place though. The issue with painting the badge is that you may lose its fine details.
I know what you mean mforcer, I thought that too when I first saw your pics and whilst a fresh new looking emblem looks great, it'd be a tough one to know what to do.  If it were me I'd probably leave it as is coz I don't know whether blacking it out or body coding it would make it look better or worse.

And about those emblems, you could pick em up online new for 10-15 USD about a year ago.  Be damned if I can find any now though.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

flutes

Oscar - shame to hear everything has stalled.  I'm finding it tough to get time time to do anything at the moment.  I still haven't fitted any of the goodies from Nathan/MT I picked up in Perth last year.

Nutz - that's looking pretty awesome, can't wait to see the finished product (I'm still squirming though!)
Matt
1977 450SEL

Nutz

The butt, although I need to clean the rubber due to some bleed through in a week or so with some mild solvents. Wish it was brighter outside but have overcast.

zedster

What about the chrome exhaust? :)

Bill
1979 450 SEL "Spinne Blaue"

Nutz

Yeah, I just ground the rust off the exhaust tips today with a fine and course wire wheel on an electric drill. Not chrome by the way, but thanks. Need different paint for that, high temp. Different paint also needed for the trunk lock.

Nutz

Anyone be kind enough to give me the size of headlight wiper hole size on the panel under the headlights? Going to install the wipers tonight.

Front bumper, hood and turn signal trim, cowl vent, windscreen wipers and over-rider painted, but still wet. Photos tomorrow.

Yesmar

25.4mm, exactly 1inch
diameter
- Ramsey

Nutz

Thanks yesmar. Are you measuring the grommet, because that seems very large in comparison to the shaft on the headlight wiper? Although I did measure the headlight wiper shaft hole on my W124, and it's large too.

koan

The hole would be about an inch, I can't get anything in to measure it exactly.

The shaft is way off centre though, the hole could be a lot smaller if it was centred, Why don't you for a smaller hole but in the right place?

What's this about a grommet ?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Nutz

Quote from: koan on 06 February 2010, 05:01 PM
The hole would be about an inch, I can't get anything in to measure it exactly.

The shaft is way off centre though, the hole could be a lot smaller if it was centred, Why don't you for a smaller hole but in the right place?

What's this about a grommet ?

koan

My 6.9 had rubber grommet's around the wiper hole's. Pic of my old W123 wiper system.

I think my car may have been in a collision somewhere along its life. The wiper motor on the passenger side dives down a bit, but I'll just shim it true.