SEATS: Horsehair dried out, loose padding and cardboard ripped from liner.

Started by testimony, 22 May 2010, 08:20 AM

testimony

Please give me advise. 1979 280se. I just bought a new horsehair replacement for the rear seat. Found the lowest price of $200.00, since this is how it was originaly, is this the best replacement with the most original comfort, or is there a better or cheaper replacement? I also found that I need a padding for the springs  to sit on, can I buy a good padding from the hardware store that will do well? and I  also now realize that the individual padding strips are torn away from the mb tex, as well as the cardboard that presses into the metal pan. Does this mean that it is shot, or can I replace it with a one piece of foam and get it re sewed?  What is worse is that I see dried out horsehair leaking onto the floor with both front seats also! Prices for all the original replacements are so expensive as well as the shops that repair. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

TJ 450

The easiest thing to do would be to get a complete replacement seat or seats from a wreck. I got a whole set for $50, I seem to recall. It's in my 6.9.

It sounds like your rear seat is on its last legs.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

testimony

Luke1

I just found out today that my front seats need new MB-Tex covers.  It seems that my back rest padding has gone bad and the perforated pleats aren't that paddy anymore.  I called GAHH, and they quoted me $650.00 for both front seats excluding the headrest and arm rest, World Upholstery quoted me $830.00 for the same set.  This decision is a no-brainer for me.

It seems that GAHH has better prices overall.

Luke
'77 280 SE
'97 S420

benzjarr

pre 1986 w126 seats are a good replacement for the back and if you can get luck you might even get rear head rest, front seats work good as well but its hard to find a w126 without power seats at least in the U.S

testimony

testimony

On ebay there is replacement seat covers made from new vinal, they say that it is made to mb-tex specks to look and feel original, but other companies on line say that they take the older original mb-tex and redu them. Please give me advise to the best thing to do for since the newer is cheaper but the original is more true. Thank you all. Frank

Luke1

According to GAHH, once you place you order, they are made to order from Germany, out of original MB-Tex.  I just ordered a piece of material for $50.00 to replace the drivers side section near the door, it has wear, my seats are in good condition overall, just minor loose padding on maybe two of the seams.  I also have samples from them, MB-Tex plain, perforated and and dark blue loop carpet, looks just like the original, just better.  The yardage is 50in x 3 yards.  They also sell dye for just about all MB colors.  They do have the original material.

Luke

'77 280SE
'97 S420

testimony

They sound like a good place to deal with, I spoke to jack today at G.A.H.H, very helpful, I am now trying to identify my interior color, I am trying to post a picture of it but am having trouble posting a picture on this sight. Thank you again for the help. I look foward to getting my mb looking as she deserves to look. Take care, Frank