News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Seatbelt Design

Started by behrthermostat, 11 January 2007, 08:43 AM

behrthermostat

Someone told me that Mercedes had more than one design for the seatbelt male parts and their receivers for the front driver and passenger seats of the 116.  Thus if I plan to buy the receivers (the one that are anchored to the floor), I have to make sure.  Do you have pictures of the different kind of male seatbelt parts that is fastened to the receivers?  Thanks in advance.    ???

oscar

I'll try and rumage for some pics tomorrow but yes there's two types.  Whether it's an early versus late model thing I don't know but the two types are either ace-of-spades shaped open hole on a squarish plate, the other is what I thought is a capital "I" but it's quite different.  There's a closed triangular hole with one end as though it were a capital "I", the other end forking out to make that triangle.

I took a quick look at ebay. 

The first is the "early" type. Look in the foreground on the seat.
The second is the later version. Look on the B pillar above the headrest.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

s class

Oscar, mine don't look like either of those  ???

They are solid metal tabs that end in a "circular blob".  See the fuzzy phone pic below.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

oscar

:D It's amazing what you learn on this site.  Make that three types Behr and counting.

Ryan, yours look familiar.  It was your type I was referring to as being the capital "I" later version but when I saw the blue/cream car's seatbelt (which is from Michel's 6.9 ad),  I had to change my description.  I've got the ace-of-spades type.  The 6.9's type did look different but I thought, ok then - that must be the second type.  It's probably a 6.9 only thing.

BAR

Are you 'talking' about the front seats?

There are two seatbelts employed by MB.  Quite different over the years.

Older type has the buckle on a flexible stalk that is botled to the transmission tunnel.

Newer type has the buckle 'fixed' to the seat.

The lap/sash 'tongue' for each of these is also different and one cannot mix and match.

behrthermostat

Yes, I'm talking about the front seats.  The car is in Manila right now, so I don't remember how ours look like.  I'm trying to get information from back home, but everyone there's busy.  The pictures attached can help in such a way that they can use them as a guide.  Looking at the pictures, they can figure out which one looks like ours.  Then, I'll use this data to buy the correct belt receivers from a dismantler.  So, based on the attached pictures, we have 2 or 3 designs?

oscar

I can vouch for my front seat tounges are the same as those in the rear seat at the top.  The 2nd and 3rd pic are definately front seats and are different again.  So three so far.

Didn't know about the buckle attachment differences. Thanks BAR.

s class

Oscar, my 280S was a '73 and it had the stalks on the tunnel, and non-inertia reel belts.  I vaguely recall that the tabs were different to my 280SE but I can't remember exactly.  I think they were like the late W108's.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

behrthermostat

Okay,  I got one picture of a seatbelt buckle from my Dad back home.  But it's for the rear seat.

I told him to send me a picture of a front seatbelt buckle since the receivers that I will buy are for the front seats (just to be sure).

Also, they told me that I need to buy one seatbelt receiver for the rear seat since it's damaged.  Will the 3 seatbelt buckles for the rear seat (left and right lap and shoulder-type seatbelts, and middle lap-type belt) have the same design?  By the way, my Dad told me that the front seatbelt receivers are bolted to the floor/tunnel.  Thanks again.   :)

James R

When I was looking for a car before I bought my 450SEL, I sat in another one where the actual belt itself didn't have a buckle at all. You pulled the belt down to the part that's connected to the floor and then there was a clip that you pushed over the belt and clicked into place. Very strange and I'd never seen anything like it before.
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!