News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Seat question

Started by Des, 04 January 2007, 09:36 PM

Des

ok I'm full of questions today.

I have managed to break the back in my W123 230 drivers seat, it wobbles around when you press the brakes and again when you are back on the throttle.

There is a W116 280S at the wreckers here with the same colour interior, just wondering if the seat out of this would fit into my 230

s class

The right guy to answer this would be Nutz, but I think he is fully occupied moving from Alaska to Hawaii.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Des

Well went back to the wreckers today, looked over the 280S, once was a nice car, before the PO had it stolen and trashed, windows all smashed, someone has attacked all the panels with a hammer or other blunt object putting small dents in it everywhere,

tried to get the seat out, as it looks exactly the same, got the back bolts out ok just can't work the front ones out, had the seat forward and in its rear most position, any secrets or tricks to getting the seat out?

The guy there couldn't work it out ether, said if I go back Monday he will just cut the floor out with the seat still in place and give it to me.

I would feel pretty stupid if it was something obvious  :(

WGB

The correct procedure is in the Workshop Manual in this forum's Library under item 91-105.

On the driver's seat the Height adjustment has to be set at high point (using side adjuster) and seat slid forward for rear bolts. Then height adjuster set to lowest (rearmost point) and seat slid backwards to rear point.

From memory there was also something funny like small allen key type bolts in the front positions.

I think the pasenger seat was quite simple as it did not have the height adjuster tracks.

My plastic handles had broken off and I used a pair of vice grips on the metal parts of the handles remaining to move release the catches.

Bill Babe

robertd

I have just removed the seats in my parts car. Don't forget to unbolt the seat belt bukle holders, they are a long slide that helps keep the seat belt bukle at the correct place as you adjust the seat back and forward. If you don't, then the plastic cover will break when the seat is removed.
# 1  Push the seat all the way forward, then remove the 2 rear bolts( in the track)
# 2  Push the seat all the way back, then remove the 2 front bolts. ( Job Done )
Good Luck, Robert
116   1978 450SEL 6.9 #  4848
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 6225  SOLD
116   1978 450SEL  6.9 # 5128  SOLD
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884  SOLD
116   1974 450SEL  DJet

Des

Thanks Robert I'll try that.