News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Rust on the inside of the driver's door!

Started by gregdeklerk, 25 January 2007, 12:54 AM

gregdeklerk

I took the driver's door panel off the other day and discovered some rust on the inside. There are little flakes lying there. The drain holes are open and there is no rust through on the paint. I was thinking about cleaning out the flakes and painting on some rust convertor. Once it is dry, then I thought I should spray on some Tectyl. What do you guys think?

Greg

oscar

Hi Greg,

I meant to comment on your car in the mirror thread. Nice car!! But what is the white one as your avatar?  I think the blue/white combination looks great.

Regarding the rust, where are the flakes coming from? 

Personally I'd wire brush as much as I can, only use the rust converter on spots that are brown from rust that you can't rub back to bare metal.  I had a similar problem on one of the drain holes in the front passenger door.  I did the above and then used deodorised fish oil in an aerosol can. It'll stop/prevent rust, but gee you have to be careful where you spray it because cleaning it off things like windows and other areas you didn't intend to spray is a nightmare. :-[  Also, deodorised fish oil still has a smell. 

It dries a bit sticky for a while and I applied a few coats.  It's doing it's job very well and I haven't painted over the afflicted area since it was in the door cavity.  So it's worth a mention for concealed areas only.  Not sure what Tectyl is but I was going to use an etch primer but instead went with fish oil based on recommendations of a generic body repair manual and the no need to paint.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

gregdeklerk

Quote from: oscar on 25 January 2007, 11:20 AM
Hi Greg,

I meant to comment on your car in the mirror thread. Nice car!! But what is the white one as your avatar?  I think the blue/white combination looks great.

Regarding the rust, where are the flakes coming from? 

Personally I'd wire brush as much as I can, only use the rust converter on spots that are brown from rust that you can't rub back to bare metal.  I had a similar problem on one of the drain holes in the front passenger door.  I did the above and then used deodorised fish oil in an aerosol can. It'll stop/prevent rust, but gee you have to be careful where you spray it because cleaning it off things like windows and other areas you didn't intend to spray is a nightmare. :-[  Also, deodorised fish oil still has a smell. 

It dries a bit sticky for a while and I applied a few coats.  It's doing it's job very well and I haven't painted over the afflicted area since it was in the door cavity.  So it's worth a mention for concealed areas only.  Not sure what Tectyl is but I was going to use an etch primer but instead went with fish oil based on recommendations of a generic body repair manual and the no need to paint.

Hi Oscar
The white car is a 1980 280S which had a rare 4 speed manual box. I sold it last year in a moment of weakness when I was tempted by a 300SE 126. Now the 126 has a new home and I missed my 116 so much that I had to get another, hence the blue car. I regret selling that white car, but you can't keep everything!!

oscar

There was a black 280S on Aussie ebay not long ago that went for peanuts and as you say, had the rare 4sp manual.  Don't have a link any more, i deleted it, but gee it sounds like they would be fun to drive.  I think I'd toss the radio so you could listen to the gear changes.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

s class

Greg,

Tectyl is suitable for preventing moisture ingress only, its not a rust convertor, so its only suitable for application where the rust has been completely ground/brushed away.  I would recommned you clean as thoroughly as possible, and then paint with Hammerite.  Hammerite is a product of british origin, and is available through better paint hand hardware stores.  Its expensive - R50 for a small can, but worth every sent.  Its a rust converter and primer all in one.  I used to live in Durban and do panelbeating there - and I't stake my name on Hammerite.  Once its cured (a few weeks - it dries overnight, and then cures slowly over a few weeks), you can then apply tectyl over the repair and in all the other crevices in the door as a preventative against further problems. 

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

gregdeklerk

Thanks Ryan.

I have used Hammerrite before and it is a great product.

Slightly off the topic here, how many 6.9s do you know of in this rainbow nation of ours?

Greg

s class

Greg,

I PM'ed yo about the 3 positive sightings I've had.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL