News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Restoring wood

Started by Brian Crump, 30 January 2007, 10:59 PM

Brian Crump

In the current Mercedes-Benz Classic there is an article on restoring wood for dashboards etc. It makes good reading. Worth a read before you take the heat gun to the wood!! :o
Regards,
Brian

oscar

Hi Brian, I was going to ask where to get this magazine.  Now that you've probably read by now there's 140 owners of luxury Mercedes Benz vehicles at home here,  :D hopefully the big newsagents have a copy, if not, I shall PM you for a copy.  I'd be very interested in reading what they recommend before I touch up my zebrano bits any further.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Brian Crump

Oscar - if you send me your postal address I will send you a photocopy.
BC

Brian Crump

I have emailed the article to those who requested it. It is in pdf format and is about 4mg so be prepared for a delay as it downloads...
Regards,
Brian

Vad El

Thank You, Brian.
I have a big problem with wood in my 450SEL. Damned italian masters...
Mercedes-Benz W116 450SEL '1979, armoured by Ernesto Pavesi S.p.a Milan Italia
Chrysler Crossfire "Limited" 3.2 Roadster '2006

BAR

Hello Brian

please email a copy to me:

brignallATciphaDOTcomDOTau

of course substitue AT with @ and DOT with . when sending.

By the way, this is a safe way of including an email address on websites that may be screened by robots crawling for addresses which they will spam.

oscar

My apologies Brian,

I thought I said thankyou for the article but at a glance I hadn't, so thank you very much.

It's an interesting article and as you said Brian, not a how-to, but still has me wanting to strip and start again.  Patience, attention to detail and a buffing wheel is on the shopping list.  Two things it doesn't mention is what kind of chemical is used for stripping and what exactly is used as a polish ie the thick clear coat.  The use of waxes surprised me too.

In addition, the article has this link http://www.mk-holztechnik.de/  well worth a look, some of it's in English but the best bits are in German.

From the same site, here's some 6.3 pieces restored.

BEFORE                       AFTER

Brian Crump

And now for some more news on 'How to...'. This article is a good explanation of what to do with wood - go to http://www.kda132.com/ and then click The NZ RR an B Club Bulletin on the right hand side of the page - scroll down through it and there is an article on wood.
Enjoy!!
Regards,
BC

oscar

;D 8) ;D

Thanks Brian. So french polishing I have to study up on now. 

On another note, my brother-in-law down this way was a cabinet/furniture maker, later concentrating on redgum furniture.  You may or may not have seen what redgum has to offer other than railway sleepers and park furniture.  Tricky wood if it's not dry enough, or dead enough, but once dead for 20+ years, fantastic fiddleback grain. Not suitable for veneering I don't think, but I'd love to adopt redgum into a w116.

Brian Crump

Oscar, redgum is one of the world's great timbers and it would be totally awesome in a car....bugger all this walnut stuff I have in the Spirit.
French polishing is not impossible - just a bit time consuming..
BC

Vad El

Where can I find a veneer for wood restoration? It's a BIG BAD question....
I need Italian Walnut like in RR-article...

Brian Crump

Vad, I would imagine it to be possible to obtain it from a cabinet maker (that's what they are called in Australia) or from a maker of fine furniture. I would imagine there are many in your country. Italian walnut is almost impossible now to find now. I know there are suppliers of exotic veneers in Paris but I do not know their names and addresses although I know how to find them when I am there. They are located in the laneways near Place Bastille. If Denis is still a member of this forum he may be able to help. Veneers are used for all sorts of purposes in decorative arts so they are certainly available. Let me do some research. It may take some time. An alternative process may be for you to contact a RR owners club in Europe - maybe the one in France?
There is a German veneer maker in Bungendore in NSW but I believe he makes it only for the very fine jewellery boxes he makes and small ones retail at about 3000 Euros each so that is probably too expensive..
Regards,
Brian

Vad El

I have found the good manufacturer of veneer in UK. But my knowledge of English do not allow to make good phone call. I have sent them a question with photos of dashboard. That they have advised, what kind of their veneer will be better.But they do not answer e-mail  :'(

http://www.nantwichveneers.com

Brian Crump

Vad - let me know if I can help.
Regards,
Brian