News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Restoring black plastic/PVC air dam

Started by koan, 12 October 2006, 04:29 AM

koan

Any hints on restoring the air dam from under the front of a 6.9?

It's in good condition apart from it looking like it's been sand blasted.

k
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

koan

I've sanded the rough surface of the air dam smooth with 240 and 400 grit wet and dry.

I'm just back from Bursons with what I thought was a can of stain black PVC upholstery dye which works well on plastic but by mistake I have satin black urethane hood and bumper coating.

The upholstery dye seems to soak into plastic surfaces, hope this urethane spray does the same.

I'll see what happens.

k

koan

Quote from: styria on 14 October 2006, 01:01 AM
Hi Koan, rubbing them back smooth is a laborious job-we then normallyplastic prime them and apply a coat of 2-K black. Let us know how yours comes up. Regards, Styria

Main problem with the air dam was that it was grey, not black, a result of being sanded blasted by road grit over the years.  I sanded it smooth but left a few of the deeper marks in it. The bottom edge is scarred from bottoming out on driveways, I gave the edge a bit of a clean up, getting it smooth would have removed too much material.

The urethane bumper paint is satin black and as come up OK. It's not a perfect job but considering where it is and what it meets on the road I'm happy with it.

k.