News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Restoring 450SE

Started by bolbol, 02 March 2006, 02:02 PM

Tomi

have not noticed those pics before. that is some really serious restoration, good work.

During my restoration, I also placed sound deadening bitumen sheets on the floor and under the back seat inside the doors and all over to keep the road noise low. I think It was succesful. The only concern I had was that what will happen if water leaks in and gets under the floor bitumen, it would stay there and cause rust. Ended up making some drainage paths between sheets towards the lowest part of the floor, where water leakage could be checked and unplug the rubber grommet which was not covered.

Did I see lisence plates from Jordan.

Would be nice to see those brabus wheels on the w116.

regards

bolbol

Patrick, Styria, Oscar, thanks for your encouragement and kind words. As I said before, this great forum and its members have been a great contributers to my effort in restoring my car.

Yes I am located in Jordan and travel to the U.S. frequently. Tomi, The drainage idea is excellent, and as a safety precaution I will look into doing that, mind you that I sprayed the interior, sheets and all, with the liquid anti rust/sound deadening material which bonded very well with the sheet metal. then I applied the bitumen sheets. I really believe that I don't have to worry about rust anymore. By the way, I installed a new winshield seal front and back. From my experience;ahem, most water leaks in 116s cabin mainly come from a failing windshield seal, fusebox seal,and most notably the parking brake base. Other factors might be a clogged drainage pipes at the sunroof, and while we are at it, In the trunk area, leaks could come from failing tail lights seals and most importantly, the seal at the gas nozzle. I will post pictures of the brabus soon.

Styria, I was wearing the mask while taking photos.I convinced the painter that his photo will be on the internet and he might get in showbiz soon  :D. The sound deadening material I used is by Secondskinaudio.com, I picked up the material on various trips to the U.S.

Thanks again you all.
bolbol

bolbol

Back to the body shop again, someone with a Beamer bumped into me last night  >:(. Let me say if it was not a 116, it would have been a disaster. it will be out later today. ;D. The Beamer !!! ??very sad story.

Just added couple of photos to the album, one with the Brabus wheels.

oscar

Bolbol, that's incredible.  You and Andrew116 hit in the same day by BMW's.  A coincidence yes but it could've been any car, I'm sorry to hear that this happened at all.  Especially after what you've achieved. 

Re the water leaks, I agree with all those areas.  There's one other area that effectively remained unnoticed for years before I got my car, and was responsible for ruining the carpets.  I bring this one up occasionally when leaks are mentioned as I would think it's a danger spot for any 116, yet noone has confirmed my suspicions for 2 years.  Maybe I am the only one :) Here's the link if you're in for a read..

Now, your wheels.  I'm fond of the AMG pentas and original hubcaps but I love your wheels. ;) I sometimes think most modern wheels distract from the car's styling.  If it's not for the shape or style of the wheel, it's the finish that does it.  IMO, these wheels compliment the 450 in style, colour and finish. What a great find!!!  Hope you don't mind me linking the photo.  Took me a while to find it but I thought it deserved to be posted.  It looks great.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

oscar

I'll post the link again to bolbol's gallery.  Brabus wheels are a few pages in. http://gallery.w116.org/v/garage/restoring+450SE/
1973 350SE, my first & fave

bolbol

Oscar, Thanks for posting the links to my photos as well as to your post about water leaks. I think its a great post and I still have a small leak in the front area under the dash, So it will be investigated according to your post. I am glad you like the Brabus wheels, fitted with 235/45-17, They are just perfect, no speedometer difference, and more options of tires to fit. The handling as I said before is amazing, I kid you not, as much as I enjoy cruising and as we all know that 116 are great sedans, performance wise, I like the outcome of the changes I made to the suspension.

Michel, what a treasure you have there, a 56 convertible, what kind of chevy ? and thanks for your encouragement.

soon  I will be posting photos of more sound deadening mats, Stereo system, new fabricated parcel shelf and other stuff.

Thanks