News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Restoring 450SE

Started by bolbol, 02 March 2006, 02:02 PM

BAR

Bolbol:  Wrapping cables / hoses etc in tape will cause you much pain in the future.  The glue will break down in time, due to heat and age.  It then gets sticky, messy and attracts dirt and dust.  Need I say more.

It is better to buy lengths of 'loom tube' of the appropriate diameter.  With a selection of sizes and colours you can then 'pretty up' the engine compartment with colour or just go for basic black.

As for 'chroming': there is enough aluminium under the bonnet that will look magnificient if it is simply linnished / polished.  I took 1/2 hr per cylinder bank for the rocker covers on my 450 and made the dull, tarnished items gleam like stainless steel.  That was > 5 years ago and they still gleam - just a wipe over with a clean cloth every few months gets rid of any oil / dust etc. that may have accumulated.  This doesn't affect the heat dissapation properties.

bolbol

OzBenzHead, BAR, Thanks for the Tips, I shall follow suggestions.

oscar

Quote from: BAR on 21 March 2006, 11:55 PM
As for 'chroming': there is enough aluminium under the bonnet that will look magnificient if it is simply linnished / polished.  I took 1/2 hr per cylinder bank for the rocker covers on my 450 and made the dull, tarnished items gleam like stainless steel. 

Couldn't agree more.  I removed one rocker cover last year and used autosol, it looks superb!  I think you could do what you like with the air filter, but IMHO, the best improvement I think is to make the engine and bay look new.  ie clean and spotless everything under the bonnet.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

bolbol

Ok, someone please talk since to me. The original color of my 450SE is silver with blue interior, but I am so much inclined to repaint with the AMG "blue purple" color. I am totally in love with this color. I know a lot of people in this forum will advise against that, but I can see that I would enjoy my car a lot more if I repaint it with what I like. I even started looking for some front and side spoilers ???

Please Help.
bolbol

Mforcer

I for one think you should paint your car the colour you like the most! I haven't changed the colour of my car for the simple reason that I do like its original colour. There is nothing bad at all with a customised car except for potential future buyers not liking the colour and the fact that it is not original but then if you do like the car you shouldn't be thinking in terms of being sellable.

The only thing we ask is that you take plenty of photos of the work you do to your car so that we can all enjoy the process as much as the finished product! :)
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

bolbol

450SE, I have taken  more than 130 photos so far and I will upload them in a folder when I am done with restoration.  I have also noticed that a lot of people are having some trouble with upgrading their stereo systems and speakers, so I am sure when all is done, a lot of people will have few options to upgrade their systems.I am installing lots of sound deadening material to reduce engine and exterior noise and enhance sound system. I am installing a new amplified sound system. My 450SE  has been with us since 1979, I am first owner and planning to keep it for life " thats my life I am talking about, I know it will outlive me ;)".

Thanks
Bolbol

bolbol

In the Gallery, there is a photo folder for a dark blue 6.9 AMG, can anyone identify the car color or color code ? did AMG have a their own color mixes ?

Also, I notice that all chrome trim is painted. How is this done ? do they paint the chrome  and ano. alum. ?

bolbol

Hi Everybody,, I have been very busy with the restoration project. To keep you updated, At this point, the body stands on two barrels, ;D the underneath is sparkling clean and repainted, the engine compartment was cleaned and repainted, Suspension parts will go back on the car tomorrow after replacing what needed to be replaced. I decided to repaint the car with MB paint Code 744 "Brilliant Silver" instead of Code 735 "Astral Silver Metallic " I am taking lots of photos that will be posted soon.

One important thing I need to know, some parts, like Trailing Arms, carry a part number starting with R107 . I think the 107 is 450sl number. Is this common ? Did MB use such parts for our 116, or is there something wrong there ?

Thanks

Andreas

Looking forward to seeing your photos.

:o
78 450 SEL Parting out
78 450 SEL Saving for parts
79 450 SEL 6.9  #5332
77 450 SEL 6.9 Euro # 1696
77 450 SEL 6.9 Euro #1577
78 450 SEL 6.9  # 4172
76 280 S     Manual Parting
80 280 SE  Possible Parts Car
74 350 SLC  Thinking converting to race

oscar

Quote from: bolbol on 23 May 2006, 01:55 PM
One important thing I need to know, some parts, like Trailing Arms, carry a part number starting with R107 . I think the 107 is 450sl number. Is this common ? Did MB use such parts for our 116, or is there something wrong there ?

I can vouch for a steering wheel and mud spats that are 123 stamped fit my 116.  Although the body is very different between a 116 and 107 it doesn't surprise me that components other than engine related are interchangeable.

BTW Bolbol, ditto what andreas said.  Have you got photos pre the resto too?  Have you posted all the details of what you've done or I have I misread and those details are still to come?

bolbol

Oscar, thanks for the info, I just thought MB will utilize these parts in Spare parts and not in production lines of 116 since I am sure that these parts were not changed or replaced in my car.

I have posted few photos here and there in the Garage part of the Gallery. I just uploaded few more photos, but when done in about two weeks,  all photos from A to z will be organized in one folder and uploaded with the help of web Master.

Something for Audio enthusiasts; Do you know that you can relocate the air storage tank in the trunk to the area behind the back seat and thus be free to install almost any kind of Rear speakers and woofers. The down side is you have to take the gas tank out.

Best Regards

Andreas

Bolbo...looks great. Cant wait to see all the photos. Would love to do the same to my 6.9. How long has this taken you so far. Hope you get to finish the resoration in two weeks.
78 450 SEL Parting out
78 450 SEL Saving for parts
79 450 SEL 6.9  #5332
77 450 SEL 6.9 Euro # 1696
77 450 SEL 6.9 Euro #1577
78 450 SEL 6.9  # 4172
76 280 S     Manual Parting
80 280 SE  Possible Parts Car
74 350 SLC  Thinking converting to race

oscar

Seeing these teardown/rebuilds is inspiring.  So much to learn but what a way to do it.  It's a pity you can't buy a 116 in kit form and put it together like a giant model  :). Your engine bay looks fantastic.

bolbol

Hi guys, I am still here ,, Thank you for checking up on me ;D

First let me apologize for not being of a more of an active member, I thought that this project could be a linear, straight forward project, but I came to learn that somethings take time,, and there has been an ups and downs that I faced restoring my 450SE. I had to replace my engine after it was reinstalled before going to the paint shop, for some reason, the pistons decided to gulp and choke on some  water ;D. On the other hand I was thrilled when I found four 17 inch Barabus wheels fitted with 235/40 for less than $200. :o.

The car is in my position now,, I am still waiting to make a short trip to renew the interior. You can not imagine how much I appreciate this project and how much I learned from each day and each step of the restoration. I am driving it on a daily basis, and making trips longer than they should take. I have a new Steroe system with 2 amps installed, done it myself. I have installed a 150AMP alternator from a later Mercedes model,yes it can be done. I have installed 4 heavy duty Bilstien shocks. Lowered the car. Test drove it  to 230 kilo per hour, and as much as love the sound of the engine, the sound deadening material is great,, at normal speeds,, its virtually like being in a newer 140 or a 220  mercedes.

I just uploaded some photos and I will keep uploading. Please chick my gallery titled "Restoring 450SE".

Please accept my apologies for not being here as much as I want to, but now I learned that I should enjoy my car while working on it, because it will never be complete.

Thanks
Bolbol

oscar

I second that ;).  Amazing!!!!  here's the photos, I'll put a link in.  It took me ages to find them :)

Bolbol, Id forgotten about you and your project and I'm thankful to Pat for asking the question.  After reading the thread again, I remembered how fast things seemed to be moving forward.  I'm glad it's on the road again. 

Congratulations on going to such effort to restore it.  I'm looking forward for more photos and how it stands on the road.

Are you in Jordan? I was wondering where in the world you are.  Original number plate suggests Jordan although I kind of wished it said (NSW Australia) :D.