News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Restoration of wooden parts

Started by dima, 08 December 2013, 12:59 PM

dima

I do not give rest to the idea of making the recess for the fingers to form steering with Zebrano veneer. Zebrano veneer (and others like him - Makassar ebony, ash, etc.) has a directional texture to work with him very hard and stick solid sheet from the back of the rim recesses for the fingers does not work .In general, had the idea to cut small slat width of 5mm and one by one stick in the end everything turned out, see photo)         

dima

The newly established steering wheel in my car)

dima

Quote from: Zrzoun93 on 06 June 2015, 07:49 AM
I have a few questions, apologies if they've already been answered.

What kind of materials have you used?
Is the wood painted?
How thick is the wood?
What kind of equipment would I need in order to do this?
How on earth do you remove all the wooden trim that is already there without damaging it?
I use a contact adhesive and hardener on the curved parts (say if you need to make the wheel), stain, polyester primer and varnish. Veneers for wall thickness of 0.6 mm

oversize

1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

Zrzoun93

Thanks for the reply!

Okay, so I'd glue the veneers on with contact adhesive, stain the wood, then use the varnish on it? Where does the polyester primer and hardener go?

dima

Quote from: Zrzoun93 on 07 June 2015, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the reply!

Okay, so I'd glue the veneers on with contact adhesive, stain the wood, then use the varnish on it? Where does the polyester primer and hardener go?
hardener is used for pressure-sensitive adhesive, it gives a great temperature resistance. After sticking the veneer is processed abrasive P240, then the stain is applied, after it acrylic primer as a barrier between the stain and polyester primer. The next step we put a transparent polyester primer, it is necessary to close the pores on the veneer (layer 4 is applied to the whole), then the surface is polished with abrasive R320-400 and topcoat is applied in the form of polyester lacquer layer 2

dima

Quote from: Zrzoun93 on 07 June 2015, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the reply!

I will lay out in more detail step by step instructions with pictures in my logbook on this resource in the following weeks http://www.drive2.ru/users/sergeich77/

Zrzoun93

Awesome, I'll try to stay updated there!