News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Restoration of wooden parts

Started by dima, 08 December 2013, 12:59 PM

dima

Many thanks for the appreciation of my work! Stan, thanks for the offer, but I probably refuse. Wooden parts restoration, it is a hobby, I do a buyout in his spare time, family and work, as well as the restoration of the car as a whole(Here is more information about my car http://www.drive2.ru/r/mercedes/288230376151805660/ ) . By creating this theme, I would like to share their experiences may help someone advice, but not in order to earn.                    С уважением,Дмитрий.

Beastie

That steering wheel looks fantastic! :D  I like that you cut it straight and flat on the top section, and on a slight angle for the bottom section because it gives it a good balanced look. ;) Did you also do the leather work? I assume the leather was all hand stitched?

I've seen some wood after market steering wheels that just don't match the wood in the car and they can look out of place, but yours looks very good and worthy of fitment in a Mercedes S-class. :)  ;)
1979 280SEL

"She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro."

oversize

This is just amazing work and shows what can be done if you have the skills.  How did you bend the timber into the circle?

If I find someone here to do that for a reasonable cost I'll definitely do it as it looks so good.
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

dima

То oversize.Thank you for your evaluation of the work! Blank steering sawed sheet of plywood 15 mm thick and processed cutters to Fight obtain the desired profile.

[/list]

atatexan

Dima, fabulous job! I am so impressed.
1975 Euro 350SE
1992 Euro C124 300CE-24 Sportline 5-speed Getrag
2002 R170 SLK320 6-speed
1986 190E 2.3-16 - sold
1987 W126 300SDL -sold
1994 E420 - sold
1968 W108 250SE - sold
1962 W111 220Sb - sold
1969 Porsche 911T, 911S
1980 911SC
1974 Citroen DS23

dima

steering wheel with inserts made in walnut root

marku

That is really something - you should offer them for sale. I bet there is a lot on the forum would buy one - me included!
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

hagar24

Quote from: dima on 08 December 2013, 07:55 PM
Quote from: CraigS on 08 December 2013, 04:26 PM
Excellent work ! Want to do mine ? On second thoughts - it will take too long to remove it all.
I can tell you how to do it right

Can you tell me how to do this the right way please, robertidgitalhouse@gmail.com

floyd111

Hi Dima,

Thanks for the inspiration you gave me.
I ordered an industrial-grade vacuum pump and top quality glues, lacquers and veneers, and we are now expanding into doing this work as an extra service for our clientele.
Very excited. I will show you pictures of our first 3 projects when they're done!

dima

God help you! whether the experience of restoration? what materials you use?

AnthonyCole

Very nice. Excellent work..
Also very interesting. Explain the step very clearly.

floyd111

Ha, God help you!
I think that may be a Google Translate effect. If not, that's still very funny !

Well, I was once trained as a carpenter, long time ago.
Since then, I have build sofas, tables, bar-units, and a variety of (commercial) interiors.
This makes veneering look simple, but a more detailed job.
I trust that quality materials are a must, so I ordered the best qualities of everything.
I also plan to do better than Benz, by offering the Zebrano grain on the climate control panel in 1 direction.
I think I figured out how to do it.
I always that that was an easy, ugly solution to do that panel in such a way.
The Zebrano and burl I bought came in sheets of 5 feet, so I can be sure to do all wood units out of 1 piece.
Before doing anything silly, I have 5 complete interiors here to practice on. No doubt I will mess up the first project.
Also, I am not even thinking about doing steering wheels. That may not happen till next year.
What I would like to try sooner is to do the arm rests in the doors. Seems easier than the steering wheels, haha!
More importantly, I want to offer completely restored ashtrays, with freshly galvanized inner parts, new lamps, new chrome on the lighter section, and a new lighter included.
It's no good having a mint wooden panel on an old, ugly ashtray.

Zrzoun93

WOW, this is amazing work. I wish it looked a bit easier so I could do it myself.

dima

Quote from: floyd111 on 30 May 2015, 09:13 AM
Ha, God help you!
I think that may be a Google Translate effect. If not, that's still very funny !

I mean good luck in your endeavors, and did not want to offend. Do, and everything will turn out

Zrzoun93

I have a few questions, apologies if they've already been answered.

What kind of materials have you used?
Is the wood painted?
How thick is the wood?
What kind of equipment would I need in order to do this?
How on earth do you remove all the wooden trim that is already there without damaging it?