News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Replacing chrome grille strips, info needed please.

Started by BCDC, 26 January 2020, 04:43 PM

BCDC

Hello, I have some new chrome strips to mount on the main grille. Mine were dented by a silly driver who reversed into me at a petrol station. His big plastic bumper was dented in quite a bit but the old Benz was fine except for the chrome strips slightly dented. Anyway back to the job at hand, the new ones were supplied with clips for the vertical one but nothing for the horizontal pieces. How do the horizontal ones attach? Do they slide on are the glued? and if so what type is best. Any help welcome. Thanks in advance.

1978 280SE Cream with blue interior. With SLS

UTn_boy

Originally, the horizontal strips slid on from the outside of the grill screen.  This means you have to remove the whole grill, then remove the grill screen, and only then can you replace the horizontal grill strips.  Mercedes did offer the clips for what they called "repair" purposes.  Essentially, the plastic ledges that held the grill strips on originally would sometimes break off from age or an accident, but there were holes in the grill screen to allow for the use of the clips.  So if you're screen is still in good shape just slide the new ones on.  If not, then buy the little clips and clip the strips on.  Part number 201-988-25-78.  A total of 18 are needed if all horizontal strips are fitted with them.

The new horizontal strips will have to be slightly bent in order to conform to the curvature of the grill screen.  Bend them before fitting.  I believe the two bottom ones will have to be cut a little shorter, so use the old one as a reference.  The vertical strip may have to be cut, too.  And pay attention to the orientation of the horizontal strips.  one end of them is cut at an angle to properly mate up next to the vertical strip.  So don't cut the wrong end of them if/when you shorten them. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

BCDC

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the help from the wonderful enthusiasts in this forum.

BC 
1978 280SE Cream with blue interior. With SLS