News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Replacement boot lid

Started by marku, 19 August 2018, 11:01 AM

marku

Finally got round to fitting the replacement lid and seal. It has been a lot of trouble because for some reason I could not get the clear coat right. I could do it OK on other panels but not here. Ended up flatting it and using a polisher. Fantastic finish like a mirror trouble is now that it shows up the other paint work. Any way fitting the lid is a bit off as the lines either side are not equal. Can't seem to get any lateral movement out of the captive nuts is that the only way to align it?
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

marku

Well after a great deal of labour polishing using Farecla I got a perfect finish like a mrror. Finished it off with the final Farecla finish which is a wax polish. As I said a really great finish. Fitted the lid and put the cover back on the car. It was outside at the time and it really rained. Some water got through the cover and and left a small pool of water on my new lid. Didn't discover this for a couple of days when I found that the water had caused the lid to go white. Tried to get rid of it but only partially successful and I don't really want to try the polisher in case I go through. Any ideas have tried Meguiars which has helped but can still see it?

rumb

I'm not sure this will be useful to you, I use Poly Wax, specifically

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/liquid+gloss+poly+wax.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn

I really like polymer's over plain wax as they last way longer and actually bond to the paint.

Also I use
https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/product/custom-weathershield-hp-car-cover.C-CCHP

In the past I have had a car outside covered for over 6 months of winter and when uncovered was completely clean and spotless, no dust or anything.  They are extremely good at keeping any water out and are very soft on your paint.  I use them on all my cars.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

s class

I'm sorry to tell you this, but when water has been left trapped against paint for some time, it will water cloud the clear.  It also damages solid colours similarly.  The time required for such damage to be caused by trapped moisture is considerably reduced if the area in question is exposed to sun/heat (with the cover still in place). 

Usually the discolouration damage is right through the clear.  The only real fix is to scuff the panel and repaint. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

daantjie

Quote from: s class on 13 September 2018, 07:18 AM
I'm sorry to tell you this, but when water has been left trapped against paint for some time, it will water cloud the clear.  It also damages solid colours similarly.  The time required for such damage to be caused by trapped moisture is considerably reduced if the area in question is exposed to sun/heat (with the cover still in place). 

Usually the discolouration damage is right through the clear.  The only real fix is to scuff the panel and repaint.

Have to agree with Ryan here, I saw this thing starting to happen on my 6.9 and now I do not put any cover on. My car has no inside storage sadly, and here in Vancouver it rains a LOT :-\
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

marku

This was only for a couple of days. Thought it might be in the wax layer so cleaned it off with white spirit and then worked in Meguairs/Mercedes polish (it was a free gift at a conference). It is much improved but still in the right light you can see  it. I will have to live with it for a while. Yes I must get a better cover it was part of one seam that leaked. I mostly use it to keep the dust and muck off as we get a lot of swallows nesting in the roof of the building fortunately they are all about to set off for South Africa.

s class

If water is trapped under a car cover, and then gets exposed to sunlight, as little as 4 hours is enough to cause permanent damage to the paint. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

marku

Quote from: s class on 14 September 2018, 06:42 AM
If water is trapped under a car cover, and then gets exposed to sunlight, as little as 4 hours is enough to cause permanent damage to the paint.

That so? Even if still under the cover? I have been working at it for the last few days and pleased to say that it is now not noticeable. I know its there but generally its not really visible. Took a lot of polishing and worry after all my efforts in getting such a finish.