News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Removing rear parcel shelf and trim, How to?

Started by mrkozzy, 23 February 2020, 10:32 PM

mrkozzy

On my 116 I'm replacing the rear carpeted parcel shelf.

I have, removed the rear seat,
            removed and thrown out the dried out speakers,
            removed the child safety seat bolts from yesteryear,

Now I wish to remove the disintegrating carpet, so I assume I somehow pull it off? out piece by piece?  Correct?

My 2nd question is the narrow  horizontal trim/flange that sits between the carpeted parcel shelf and the rear window. This needs to be removed and be re trimmed, (I'll probably give it a vinyl I think). Question how does this horizontal trim get removed? I cannot fine any screws or clips.

I was unable to find any info in the service manual, however somewhere a long time ago, the article was covered.

Any help appreciated.
MrKozzy

robertd

Hi Mr Kozzy,
from the inside of the boot, from memory you will find a plastic nut at each end of trim, directly below where it finishes.  easy peasy. oh and the shelf itself is held in with some fold over metal tags
Cheers
Rob
116   1978 450SEL 6.9 #  4848
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 6225  SOLD
116   1978 450SEL  6.9 # 5128  SOLD
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884  SOLD
116   1974 450SEL  DJet

mrkozzy

Thanks Rob.

I'll try tomorrow and report back.

Cheers
MrKozzy

ptashek

For the rear trim - as already mentioned, there's a nut either side of it in the trunk. You'll have to do some trunk gymnastics to get at them. Then it just slides of towards the cabin.
Then the parcel shelf should lift, and then slide off towards the cabin as well. It's held in place by the rear bench guide in the front, and the rear trim in the back.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

mrkozzy

Yesireeee,

Easy Peasy when you know how.

Worked a treat.  Thanks for the help everyone.

Also found the original 1st aid kit (still in Tact) under the carpet.

Seems like my dad covered the entire rear parcel shelf in carpet some 30 years ago and never bothered  making "the opening" for the kit!

You gotta laugh.  I'll add it to the other 2 others, I have somewhere in storage.
MrKozzy

marku

Its also quite easy, with a bit of ingenuity, to remake the covering completely. Just done it after putting it of for some time. Also had to remake the metal shelf as the previous owner had cut large holes for very big speakers! I did make the covering a little thick as I had added a layer of insulation which made it too thick to go under the side trim. After a bit of adjustment it fits although a bit tight but looks OK and quite pleased with the result.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

mrkozzy

Job completed. Thanks for the information guys.

Pulled out all the old, mouldy, torn covering and cut a new thin 3mm plyboard as the base.  Using the old carpet as a template.

Covered the speaker holes and the 1st aid kit container.  Not sure on the sound system placement yet.

Cut round 25 mm holes all along the rear edge through the ply and carpet (I assumed those holes in the bodywork under the glass are there for a reason. Ventilation maybe?)

Glued carpet to ply and remounted everything in reverse just as the forum suggested.

Went for black marine grade carpet to reduce the glare and give it a slightly "modern" touch.
MrKozzy

Nabstud

Looks great. And very timely, I've been looking to remove and clean mine...
1975 280S - Australian delivered