News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Removing my Becker

Started by 1980450sel, 12 December 2009, 07:31 PM

1980450sel

I'm trying to remove my old radio/cassette out of my 1980 450SEL and install a new deck. I'm having trouble getting the old deck out and I can't find any info in the manual. I've removed the knobs. face plate and the two metal slats that tighten the deck to the console. Do I need to remove more hardware or is it just a matter of hooking up a winch to the back head rests and tugging?
Any help would gladly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

nathan

Scott,
as far as im aware thats it, its ready to come out.  when you get it out, done butcher the old school wiring harness - leave it in for when you decide to go back to the old school becker ;)
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

koan

Quote from: 1980450sel on 12 December 2009, 07:31 PM
Do I need to remove more hardware or is it just a matter of hooking up a winch to the back head rests and tugging?

No, what you have removed should be sufficient to allow the radio to be pulled out. If it is really stuck a small explosive charge in the ash tray usually does the trick with minimal damage to the surrounding trim.

I second what "nathan" says, don't butcher the existing wiring.

You are aware there is a separate power amp under the glove box somewhere.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

1980450sel

QuoteYou are aware there is a separate power amp under the glove box somewhere.

Say What! :o

Big_Richard

due to the ancient design of the becker the amplifier module is external to the deck, its usually just chucked behind the glove box lining. This is where the speakers connect and also where the ON signal for the power antenna comes from.

1980450sel

I think now, with all this great info, I'm just going to wire my new deck as though the Becker Mexico was never installed and pull in all new speaker wires and power connections and leave all the original Becker wiring for later when I want to go low tech. The only thing I see as a problem is the antenna power as I will have to run a signal over to the amp and cut in there. Thoughts?

Scott

koan

The same sort of 2 pin connectors are available at Jaycar and possibly Dick Smith so you could use the existing speaker wires - they are bit on the light side though.

The antenna signal is just a spade lug pushed in to the amp that gets +12V when the radio is on. All the wire needs is +12Volts to go up and no Volts to go down, something appropriate might be available on your chosen unit to do the job. It is only a signal, power to antenna is a separate circuit so it retracts when keys are removed.

koan

1980450sel

Thanks koan :). good stuff to know.

Scott

1980450sel

Well I finished the install of my new deck and I was able to keep all the original Becker wiring and components if the need or desire arises to put it back in, I even pulled in an RCA cable into the trunk for a future amp and sub. Everything works including the power antenna.

Thanks to all for your input.

Scott

koan

Good to see you got it all sorted, sorry about the local references for the plugs and sockets in my previous post but I got the idea you were in Canberra AUS.

koan