News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Removing finish from dash wood veneer

Started by polymathman, 25 September 2015, 07:13 PM

s class

Quote from: UTn_boy on 13 October 2015, 07:06 PM
I'm not sure if everyone is aware, but there seems to be some confusion on the type of finish.  The very early W116 cars had tinted nitrocellulose lacquer.  For example, many, but not all, of the early models that had the dash wood with the ridge in the middle of it would have had the nitrocellulose lacquer on the wood.  (on a side note...the early cars had the option of macassar Ebony....my favorite).  Anyway, after about late 1973 to early 1974 Mercedes started using polyester resin on all of the wood across all model ranges.  It, too, was tinted.  When working with Macassar ebony, zebrano, or walnut root, it is important that the veneer is not stained.  The wood looses definition when it is stained.  That is why they tinted the clear top coat. 

Refinishing a later model in lacquer is cosmetically incorrect, but yields spectacular results.....as long as the wood isn't exposed to a lot of sun.  The lacquer will craze in a few years if exposed to sun regularly.

That is correct, the earliest cars had a horizontal groove across the dash trim, and cold be had in Macassar.  My 1974 350SE is one of the first to have the standard later style zebrano, but I'm planning to install early spec Macassar because its just spectacular.   

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

UTn_boy

S class, a few years ago I tried adapting the early wood with Ebony to a later model.  It seems that the profiles of the area of the dash behind the wood, as well as the profile of the wood blocks on the back of the wood panels, are different.  I had to make modifications to both the dash and the wood to make it work.  You may already know that, but maybe this will help others that are considering doing the same thing. 

Regardless of the fact that it would be incorrect, I think I'm going to have the wood in my W116 refinished in Ebony when I do it.  It must have been a sad day when they quit offering ebony.   However, I will confess, even though I detest zebrano, I'd take zebrano any day over the straight grained walnut that was used prior to the W116 in the W108/W019 and W100 cars.  I always felt that the decision to use straight grained walnut was an afterthought on Mercedes's behalf....much like using a plastic console out of a W108/W109 in the W111 280 coupes and cabriolets.  With all of the exotic wood, fine leather, and wool or velour carpeting, that console should have at least been wrapped in leather. It was so out of place. Nonetheless,  There is nothing as beautiful on this earth as some old growth ebony.  Kind of excited now haha . 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

dima

In most cases, the lead is damaged and needs to be changed, there is restoration work on the replacement veneer   https://www.drive2.ru/b/2055847/  https://www.drive2.ru/b/1911536/ https://www.drive2.ru/b/2055900/

Casey

Quote from: UTn_boy on 14 October 2015, 09:30 PM
S class, a few years ago I tried adapting the early wood with Ebony to a later model.  It seems that the profiles of the area of the dash behind the wood, as well as the profile of the wood blocks on the back of the wood panels, are different.  I had to make modifications to both the dash and the wood to make it work.  You may already know that, but maybe this will help others that are considering doing the same thing.

I assume that the stepped Ebony trim should fit any dash with the speakers on the underside of the dash as opposed to the top?  I never would have guessed they changed the fitting of the wood trim - will have to compare some zebrano pieces tomorrow to see for myself.  I'd love to get a nice stepped Ebony dash trim set along with custom-made Ebony trims for the manual climate control panel, ashtray, and center console.  I'd hate to know the cost.

UTn_boy

From what I could tell, there were two styles of the early dashes with speakers down below.  The early style would accept the early wood and it's rear substrate blocks, and then there was the "late" early style dash with speakers underneath that would only accept wood panels after 1973.  The job I did for a customer involved putting the early wood (with the ridge in it) on a 1976 280se.  This 1976 280se had a dash in which the speakers were underneath.  When I went to fit the early wood, it wouldn't fit.  I ended up having to take the wood blocks off of both sets and gluing the wood blocks on to the early wood so it would fit.  When I compared the areas of the dash underneath of the wood on the customers car and on the 1972 parts car I had, that said area had a different profile about it between the two......even though they were both dashes that had the speakers underneath.  Live and learn, huh?   

Casey

Crap, I threw out the badly-rotted 1973 dash and wood I had a year ago, so can't see for myself. :(

Love that stepped Ebony though - the only bummer (other than a unique dash for the year) is that Mercedes didn't make the full center console wood available in 1973.

UTn_boy

haha.  Well, adding wood to the center console is definitely something that can be done.  No, it wouldn't be cosmetically correct, but it'll look stunning, and one can always go back to the original plastic with little effort if so desired. 

Casey

Actually, I do have a NOS ebony glove box wood somewhere now that I think about it.  Was the glove box door different in 1973 as well?

UTn_boy

Past the physical difference in the profile of the wood, I think the glove box wood was "plug and play". 

Casey

Quote from: UTn_boy on 30 November 2015, 05:52 PM
Past the physical difference in the profile of the wood, I think the glove box wood was "plug and play".

Yep, looks like it to me:

The top two are flat zebrano, the third one down is 1973 stepped zebrano, and the 4th is stepped ebony.  All look identical in shape and mounting points.  In the following picture, the backs of a flat-face and stepped-face zebrano are pictured:

UTn_boy

Ah, so my memory did serve me correctly for once. ;)  It all Looks wonderful, Casey.  I can't wait to see your end results, and i can't wait to get my ebony in my own W116! 

Casey

Quote from: UTn_boy on 01 December 2015, 05:38 PM
Ah, so my memory did serve me correctly for once. ;)  It all Looks wonderful, Casey.  I can't wait to see your end results, and i can't wait to get my ebony in my own W116!

Well my end result is years away probably...I don't currently have any other ebony pieces even. :/  I assumed you already had ebony in yours for some reason.

UTn_boy

No.  Mine has the zebrano.  I just happen to have a few sets of ebony from cars I've parted out over the years.  And don't worry, my wood refinishing won't happen for a while either.  I'm currently trying to finish the restoration of my 6.3.  Honestly, I'd rather be working on my W116 or looking for a nice v-8 W116.  Such is life though.  I'm very fortunate to have what I do have, and I'm very happy and content with all. :)

Diesel 617

Quote from: s class on 29 September 2015, 09:45 AM
Here's the result of work we did in a 450SE last month.  We fitted a good used dash, and repaired the wood by removing the old cracked lacquer/resin, and recoating.

That veneer appears to be stunning. It really sets the simple interior apart and gives the car that classic Mercedes-Benz feel and look.

S-Class, would be so kind as to inform the forum of how you achieved the mystical feat of removing and installing a w116 dash without it cracking? There are many of us who would be exceedingly interested.
X3 1980 300SD Blown Heads, trans -Retired
1980 450SEL Parted out/Scrap
1980 450SEL to Diesel Parted Out/Scrap
1979 280SE Euro Spec Cloth Seats Sold
1979 300CD Daily Driver - Sold

Inventory of w116 Parts
[url="https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff"]https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff[/url]

Casey

Quote from: s class on 29 September 2015, 09:46 AM

What is that little red light between the upper center console switches?