News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Removing door sill trim.

Started by 1980sdga, 01 April 2012, 08:51 AM

1980sdga

I can't open the service manuals from this computer  ???  I'm trying to remove the interior trim beside the windshield. I'm assuming it just pops off but I don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks.

TJ 450

Do you mean the insert/escutcheon that is the same colour as the body? If so, it needs to be pryed out at the top (from the side edge(s)), half way down (and then pulled straight up. This is how I do it anyway.

The crux of the matter is that it is very easy to damage, so your prying tool needs to be made of plastic, or at least something that doesn't scratch.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

1980sdga

No, but thanks for the tip!  I haven't really dug into that part of the car but a windshield gasket change is overdue...

This interior part:

It looks like it sits atop the edge of the dash.

jbrasile

Jon,

The A-pillar cover is held by two clips AND a little screw at the bottom that you can't see because it is behind the vertical plastic piece that goes on the lower part of the pillar. To remove this vertical piece you need to take out its tiny philips screw and VERY gently pry its to top portion out, lift it out as it also has a hook the holds it to the car's body.

Once its all done you simply pull the A-pillar cover towards you.

Tks,

Joe

1980sdga

Thanks!  I got it. It was a little fiddly getting it back but all went well.

I was running a wire for a radar detector:

No more wires!

TJ 450

For the A Pillar trim, I've only ever been able to remove those without damage by removing the "cornice" (through which the grab handles are fixed), and the section above the sun visors. You can remove them without doing this, but the risk of damage is much higher.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

jbrasile

Tim,

You make a great point! I completely forgot to mention how difficult it is to pull the cover with the large side roof panel and front sunvisor tray in place.

Jon hopefully you were able to do it without damaging anything, sorry for my mistake!

Tks,

Joe

1980sdga

Thanks for the input.  It was difficult but worked out well.  The two metal "tangs" that fit behind the upper pieces was a PITA but I managed to finesse them in.  It would be really easy to damage the other pieces if care weren't taken.

That would be a shame because I love the way  those finely crafted foam/vinyl pieces fit together like a puzzle  ;D

hans

When removing just that A-pillar piece, it's difficult to get the puzzle back together with everything flush.  I found that once those metal tabs are bent, they tend to fatigue and inhibit a flush mount against the adjoining pieces.