News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Removing dash wood...

Started by wonwon6, 21 December 2009, 06:05 PM

wonwon6

I recently aquired a 74 450SE which has plenty of excellent donor parts to remove and hord away in case El Rey ever gets a king hit or wants to bash a getz... ;) Anyways I want to save the Zeb wood trims as they are a rather rare (at least to me) very dark and nicely striped set. I dont want to damage them taking them out, any tips or a redirect to an earlier thread would be great.

cheers
Rosstamon

Big_Richard

removing the dash makes it easy to take off those ones, the rest are straight forward.

The dash ones have metal studs and are locked in place with plastic nuts on the reverse side. The govebox piece can be removed by dismantling the lid, taking shortcuts here may result in scratching it under the locking mechanism.

really, theres nothing to it.

s class

If the its an early car with really dark banding on the wood, it is quite likely the rather scarce Macassar wood, not zebrano.  Id really love to have Macassar.  So please look after it and don't take short cuts. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

SELfor50

I've never tackled the dash wood, but if you are parting it out - as the Major suggests, rip the dash out (read: remove dash nicely) and then remove the wood.

If you are going to tackle the dash though, you might need to have some Lark Single Malt on hand for after the job is finished.  :o   ;)

Cam.

Papalangi

I've R&R'd the wood in mine and it wasn't too bad.  If I remember right, I pulled the glove box, climate control panel, instrument cluster and maybe the speakers in the lower part of the dash.  You may want to drop the steering wheel or at least tape a rag to it.  If the finish is in good shape, consider covering it with blue painters tape.  DO NOT use regular masking tape and be sure to remove the tape as soon as possible.

The PO had glued walnut veneer on top of the original wood and slathered varnish over it.  Looked like poo.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

wonwon6

Thanks for all the tips. I'll let you know how it goes and post a few photos of the old girl and her special bits  ;) as for the single malt I might just enjoy a wee nip now and plan my attack  ;D

Rosstamon