News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

rechroming, part one

Started by Big_Richard, 13 May 2008, 04:51 AM

Big_Richard

WGB

If you want to be very fastidious about rechroming potmetal you can have it cleaned, then plated with copper.

The imperfections are then filled with solder and treated with fine sanding - like paintwork and then re-plated with copper and then chrome plated.

I have the book which describes this.

I also understand that the real show people will purchase a new part and then have it cleaned, repaired and triple chromed so that it looks better than new.

The pot-metal around the rear is probably about the hardest to get right and most of us have pits so it will be interesting to see how they turn out.

Bill

Big_Richard

Big_Richard

nathan

chroming,
isnt that what the local tools at the train station do with a plastic coke bottle?!

are you sure about the price of those chrom bits...my silly ass father went to the dealer and just ordered (well, a year ago), the two chrome surrounds
onr the front quarter panels that are continuous with the bit above the headlights on the bonnet (does this make sense)...they were something like 120 bucks each he dscovered after they arrived...i cant imagine the large chrome bits (which arent just plastic) you mentioned would be anywhere near as cheap as what you suggested the cost of rechroming was??
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

TJ 450

Sounds good... they can look pretty bad at times. I polished the ones on the white car with Autosol with reasonable success (I am obsessed with that product). New/re-plated ones would be awesome.

I was quoted $1300 for the mid section of the rear bumper recently, $800 for the grille surround. I wouldn't think they would be too expensive (comparatively). However, sometimes pricing defies any known logic.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

koan

Quote from: TJ 450 on 13 May 2008, 07:14 AM

I was quoted $1300 for the mid section of the rear bumper recently,

That sounds a bit steep, I paid $300 for the front middle section to be straightened and chromed.

The bar was in pretty good shape, I can see something rusted with the chrome lifting could be more but not that much.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

TJ 450

I forgot to add... that's brand new from the dealer.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

koan

Quote from: TJ 450 on 13 May 2008, 08:07 AM

I forgot to add... that's brand new from the dealer.

That makes a bit more sense...

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Big_Richard

WGB

It is quite possible to chrome at home Patrick.

Plenty of books available but fumes and neighbour's reactions may be a problem.

Nathan in his capacity as ENT Registrar can give you a dissertation on "Chrome Plater's Septum" which I have seen a couple of times.

I have a book on DIY chroming and the biggest problem is getting a powerful rectified power supply for even deposition of metal as well as a trough big enough for large bumpers etc.

To do a good job the skill and time is, just like painting, in the preparation.

I also understand that "Australian Chrome" is a different colour to "German Chrome" and you have to do all pieces of a bumper to get a match.

Bill

CraigS

Diecast, otherwise known as pot metal, is an absolute bugger to re-do, and most places won't even touch it. Those that do charge for the amount of work involved to get it right.

Plating of Pot Metal, Die Cast and White Metal

Due to the natural deterioration of this type of material it requires a great deal of work and time to restore. We can repair cracks and dents. In cases of severely deteriorated parts, filling pits, repairing cracks and dents can be achieved by hand filling and polishing. We do not grind out the pits. This is the most difficult metal to refinish and your parts are only handled by experienced personnel. All pieces go through an acid copper plate and buffing process. This takes a great deal of time and is very labor intensive but results in the best possible finish. Sometimes parts may be too deteriorated to restore to perfect condition. You will be notified in such a case. We reserve the right to refuse orders that will not be satisfactory to us.

[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

Big_Richard

Big_Richard