News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

rechroming, part one

Started by Big_Richard, 13 May 2008, 04:51 AM

TJ 450

By the sound of things it might require a large amount of effort/funds to get right. I would consider finding a good used set and cleaning them up.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

oscar

I was going to post a link to a place called Plate and Paint that had kits for home electroplating and chroming amybe anodizing too but from memory the kits were kind of expensive.  Must have been since they don't exist anymore.  Plus you'd need a decent tub to submerse parts and many gallons to fill it especially if you were doing the larger corner shaped parts or a grill.  The kits were more economical if you were doing nuts and bolts.  I'm sure there's other sites out there.   

What would be better is to organise a Plating Party.  Everyone pitch in and bring their bits.  It'd be a week long BBQ though.

To the parts you're referring to Pat, the wrecked yellow 280's were bad I didn't bother removing them, just chucked the whole rear into the trailer for the rubbish dump.  I wonder if the exhaust plays a part in ruining them.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Big_Richard

Big_Richard

WGB

Looks good.

Does the new chrome colour match with the old - some people say there is a difference betwen Oz chrome and the Deutsche variety.

Bill

Big_Richard

oscar

Nice result PB.  I was a bit surprised to read the rubber pads are still available too.  After taking pieces off mine and other cars I was amazed to see how every bit of exterior metal attached to the body has a rubber underpad.  All of which are hardened and cracked now and some are missing.

Big_Richard

Big_Richard

oscar

8)  Wow!  That's stunning Pat.

Big_Richard

Big_Richard

koan

When your dealer says NLA, does he just mean from the factory in Germany or from the Classic Centre too?

I'm never sure, sometimes the dealers need a bit of prompting to look at the Classic Centre option.

Have you tried tapping the part numbers into Classic Centres' spare parts availability page?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

oscar

Is it possible to buy direct from the classic centre??  I've found they stock a new TPS for a 350, but when i save up for it, how do I get it?

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 06 June 2008, 04:05 AM
The rubber pad under the boot lid handle is no longer agailable,

Along the way I've been amazed at the number of rubber bits that separate metal from duco. These rubber gaskets are everywhere, A-pillar, gutters, C-pillar, bumpers to panel..... The first time I realised I was missing a particular piece is when I saw that everyone else had the rubber between grill and bonnet.  I suppose I don't mind so much if these things start to disappear so long as you can cut a strip of similar material to make the gasket, but I hope they never stop making all the rubber suspension bushes and mounts too.  Then we'll be in trouble :-\

It really is crap when the rubber gasket goes hard.  I tried to remove the grill/bonnet one off the 280S project today and it was woeful.  It cracked in pieces any time you lifted an edge up.  One gasket I'd like to get hold of is the bits that are on the bottom of the A-pillar that is towards the bottom corners of the windscreen.

koan

Quote from: oscar on 06 June 2008, 04:43 AM

Is it possible to buy direct from the classic centre??  I've found they stock a new TPS for a 350, but when i save up for it, how do I get it?

You have to go through a dealer and as I say they sometimes need a bit of prompting.

If you have a part number go to the Parts query and see if they have it. ignore the price as it's only a fraction of what you will end up paying.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!