News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Rear window seal

Started by marku, 20 November 2018, 11:44 AM

marku

What's the trick in fitting the rear seal to accommodate the heated window cables?
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

daantjie

Yes this is a bit tricky.  Best to check the location of the holes for the demister wires on the old seal and try as best you can to replicate the location.  It is tricky as the seal will flex once on the glass.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

stillmatic

I replaced mine a couple of months back, part of a bigger job to replace both front and rear window seals together with door and sunroof seals. The rear window seal replacement was the easiest part and I used an aftermarket seal from Febi (for the front I used the original MB part because no aftermarket seal would fit!). I carefully disconnected the wires before taking the glass off and I had to cut small channels into the new seal to make the wire seat nicely.
Michael

1978 280SE Euro Astral Silver/Blue MB Tex
1970 250C W114

marku

That it? Just cut through the inner side of the seal? Unfortunately cut the old seal out and binned it without thinking.

stillmatic

That's what I did to make mine sit flush again, obviously "create a channel" I'd say, rather than cut. I'm not sure if there are other solutions out there, mine being an aftermarket, it didn't have any guides for the wires.
Michael

1970 250C W114

marku

The seal I got was a genuine MB part it didn't have any "channels" either. Can't think that any 116 was sold without the heated rear window. Even if a buyer didn't want it I would have thought the seal would still have the the allowance for the wiring. Surprised at MB it doesn't look good on such an expensive car.

stillmatic

I don't believe the seal before was original either, I wonder if the cable was just mounted in a different way before that? I wouldn't know though, but maybe someone with an original factory seal in place can weigh in.
Michael

1970 250C W114

UTn_boy

As far as I know all seals were required to have a hole cut in the appropriate area.  I don't think they ever came with hols already cut in them.  And I've seen several W116 cars that came new without a heated rear glass.  Granted, they were Euro versions, but they do exist, as heated rear glass was an optional extra. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

marku

Well all I know is that it is a real pain to fit. All the tape holding the metal strip to the edge of the screen was brittle and has disintegrated so I have to refit it. Was it stuck to the screen with some sort of conductive glue or did the tape hold it close enough?