News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Rear window gasket

Started by jjccp, 25 June 2019, 09:50 AM

jjccp

I'm getting ready to have my 6.9 rear window r&r'd with a new gasket. My window pro said he can save and reuse the old glass and asked me to source and order the gasket. Looking online, I see a big difference in prices between URO-$42, Febi-$39, genuine MBZ from $130 to $189.

I know a lot of parts nowadays are unreliable. Anyone had any recent experience with ordering a good gasket? Thanks in advance.
1977 280 SE
1978 San Juan 23
1979 6.9 #6846

daantjie

OE only. It's a prick of a job so rather use the best you can.  The OE seal fits a lot better and rubber quality I think is much better too.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

ptashek

Ditto on MB-only for the main glass gaskets.

They're just as bad quality wise as anything aftermarket, but fit better (well, the rear one does at least).
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

w116john

hi

i had front and rear seals replaced a few months ago and like you, i came here looking for advice.  what i picked up from the threads on this subject
was that, you should use a mercedes front seal and for the rear there was not much difference in quality / fit between the various brands and that's what i did.

Mercedes in the front and febi in the rear

the seals as installed look good, i have no leaks

i think the experience /knowledge of the fitter is really important

all the best

OLDGOLD

I bought a URO rear seal once and it was not even close. The set of door seals I purchased from Turkey on eBay were even worse!

The only upside was once I cut a section out, and glued it back together, I didn't have to remove the check strap from the door  8)