News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Rear tire recommendations?

Started by PMcG, 15 July 2020, 01:12 AM

PMcG

Seems I could use a better pair of tires in the rear to handle wet weather.  Front tires are Hankook Optimo H724s, which seem to handle the gig.  The no-namers in  the back-- not so much.  What would be a really good pair to handle the torque and not get slippery in the rain?  Based in Seattle here, so 'wet' is a thing.
1976 450 SE
Diamond Blue Metallic / Navy Blue

UTn_boy

Hankook tires are a very low grade tire, and end up becoming too hard and slick in wet weather.  They'll last a long time, but the ride quality will suffer, they'll become hazardous in wet weather, and they're not a true (round) tire, which causes shaking on the highway.  They can not be balanced out, either.  In addition, and for safety, always replace all 4 tires at the same time.  Being that tires are not something I cheap out on, I can only recommend the Vredestein, AVON, or Michelin tires.  They're the safest, most true (round), don't become hard, and all offer long life. (provided the alignment is spot on) 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

PMcG

Thanks very much for that, I did notice the ride is not terribly smooth.  And not doing well in wet is not acceptable either.  I just got the car, so you've got me convinced to make the swap.  Is there a particular size of Avon or Michelin tire you recommend?
1976 450 SE
Diamond Blue Metallic / Navy Blue

ptashek

Not sure if you can get these in US, but in Ireland, which Seattle would share the rain with ;) I'm driving my daily cars on 2nd gen Goodyear Vector 4Season or Michelin CrossClimate.

My 450 drives on Dunlop Sport BluResponse, which also have great wet grip properties. But they're a summer-only tyre.

Neither is available in 14", only 15" upwards with best size choice in the 16" range.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE