News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

rear seat pad ?

Started by albe, 09 January 2012, 12:17 AM

albe

Need help on where to get rear seat pads, bottom and back for my sel , do they cost much ? Or can i just use foam padding instead . Covers are great just need to sew new cotton to the back of them to keep foam strips in place . Are there any tips on how to fix these seat and put the covers back on ?
Thanks  Albe

calvin streeting

albe

Thanks Calvin , those pics are a great help they give me a inside look at what is meant to be there .
When I lifted my seat out I thought it was rust and was very worried .The back is no good eather .But happy to find no rust .Just old horse hair . Thanks again . Albe  ;)

WGB

I have purchased my seat covers, carpets and headliner from www.gahh.com

Here is my rear seat of which I am very happy

GAHH also sell seat pads and a rear set is US$432 plus postage

I am not sure what year your car is but here is the GAHH 450SE/SEL brochure - the seat pads are at the end.

http://www.gahh.com/store.php?cPath=51_3438_250_2225&search_for=Seats&products_family_id=2&sort=3a&page=2

Good Luck

Bill

albe

Not cheap are they ,I will keep shopping for know but thanks for that its a idea on ball park Figure .

p.s Has any one here use anything to copy the pad ? Will look in to that .

Thanks Albe

WGB

Unfortunately the cost of a good interior is not measured in pennies.

It should be possible to create something in rubber but the "horsehair" pads in the back deteriorate faster than the fronts and it will be hard finding anything useful on the second hand market.

Equally it is not easy removing and refitting old leather (not that easy doing new leather for that matter).

Bill

jbrasile

Albe,

I can supply the pads from GAHH at 15% off of their internet published prices + shipping, if you are interested pls email me at: joe@mbklassik.net or info@mbclassic.net

Tks,

Joe

Squiggle Dog

If you place a piece of carpet padding (the blanket-type, not the multi-colored foam) between the springs and the pad, it will help keep the springs from cutting through the pad fibers and will also keep the "shredded wheat" off of the floor.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

albe

Joe , Thanks for the offer I will keep that in mind if nothing turns up . I have just started a new job  in the auto trade so should open up some new doors .
I will be doing the air con(needs gas) , tyres(was thinking white walls), new front screen(for R.W.C)and the Road worthy cirt and hope to meet the guy who doe's trim repairs.
I can all so get paint work done on the 280 sel thro the car yard I work at .
Hope to use the trade plate to get things done soon. That will make life easier .Just need to sort rear seat and some trim work I want to do (velour on inside door card to match the roof and parcel shelf )Then I can take care of the R.W.C items.
Have not driven it out of The drive way yet lol so busting to get it on the road .
Albe
Quote from: jbrasile on 10 January 2012, 09:39 AM
Albe,

I can supply the pads from GAHH at 15% off of their internet published prices + shipping, if you are interested pls email me at: joe@mbklassik.net or info@mbclassic.net

Tks,

Joe

Casey

Do the GAHH pads use the original rubberized coconut fiber design or some sort of foam?  Original-style bottom pads are available from World Upholstery, $240 for the fronts and $340 for the back, but they don't have the back pads available.

I'm curious about this:

"Rear seats did not change over the course of the W116 lifespan. The seat kit would include the backrest, cushion and center armrest cover. The only model that's slightly different is the 450SEL 6.9 which has a plain band at the top of the rear seat where the headrests are."

Is that what that boring-looking flat portion of leather is on the top of those black seats pictured above?  I have to wonder why they would do such a thing...I think the original style looks better:

Although the green skins I'm buying were originally ordered for a 6.9, they don't appear to be the 6.9 style.

jbrasile

Yes they do Casey, the pads are almost identical to the originals and bottoms and back are available front and rear.

Tks,

Joe

WGB

Quote from: Raptelan on 12 January 2012, 04:28 PM
Is that what that boring-looking flat portion of leather is on the top of those black seats pictured above?  I have to wonder why they would do such a thing...I think the original style looks better:

That particular picture of my rear seat shows the electric rear seat option which is different again from the standard 6.9 rear seat.

Bill

s class

6.9's do hava a flat panel of leather across the top of the rear seat.  At least that means the top panel can be separately replaced to repair sun damage. 

Interestingly, early W116s had the leather pleats in basket weave print (like W108s) and not the diamond print we are usually familiar with.  These early cars with basket weave print had flat panels of leather across the tops of both front and rear seats. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

TJ 450

Quote from: s class on 13 January 2012, 02:19 AM
6.9's do hava a flat panel of leather across the top of the rear seat.  At least that means the top panel can be separately replaced to repair sun damage. 

Interestingly, early W116s had the leather pleats in basket weave print (like W108s) and not the diamond print we are usually familiar with.  These early cars with basket weave print had flat panels of leather across the tops of both front and rear seats.

I think the early seats with the basket weave pattern and flat top panel might be a South African specific thing... I don't believe I have seen it on early cars produced in Germany, but could be wrong. My 280S has that style of seat to which you refer. I think these style of seat have the coil spring bases.

Early 6.9s also had the standard seats with pleats running all the way back, but yes... Minor differences.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

s class

Yes, that jogs my memory - the earliest 6.9's had standard rear seats, but it changed over early in the run-  at below VIN #1000 I would think. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL