News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Rear badge

Started by marku, 24 October 2017, 11:08 AM

marku

Further to other posting on this topic where I had to replace the "450SE" badge on the boot lid because I replaced the lid to find that the old badge would not fit the pins having a different arrangement.

Got a replacement badge which is fine and in very good condition even has the part  number on the back which the old one didn't. Odd thing is that it is in a satin finish when the old one is bright chrome. Its not tarnished or anything is it supposed to be like that?
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

UTn_boy

Not to my knowledge.....I know there is an early and a late version.  One being all silver and the later one having a black pin stripe underneath of the numbers and letters, but they were all anodized aluminum.  They're all supposed to be shiny.  Maybe order another and see if it's any better?  If not you can always further polish the emblem on a rouge wheel.  Just be careful as they bend easily.
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

karmann_20v

The only reason for the satin finish may be oxidation (the 280SE badge from my parts car was that way). You can try to polish it up and see what kind of a result you get, but as UTn mentioned, be careful as they are pretty flimsy.

marku

OK but isn't it anodised aluminium? I know Ken on Mercedessource has developed a treatment to revive it but I thought as it was such a perfect finish it had to intentional. Both the new/old badge and the old original have the black line under the numbers. Thought I might have it chromed but my local plating shop wont do it. 
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

UTn_boy

What I was trying to get across was that the very early cars, such as a 1972 or 1973 year model. would not have have the black line underneath of the letters and numbers.

And yes, it's anodized aluminum, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a manufacturer defect. Who was it that made these for Mercededs?  Huf, or Freif?  Maybe contact them after we're sure of who made them to see if they'll repair the problem?  Just throwing out ideas here. 

As far as chromium plating, anodized aluminum cannot be chromium plated, and even bare aluminum that is chromium plated will only last a few years.  The plating always starts peeling off. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

TJ 450

Hi Marku,

I think I know what you mean regarding the badge, although if you could take a pic to demonstrate the difference that would be great.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500