News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Query on seat covers

Started by Des, 26 February 2007, 06:05 AM

Des

I have often pondered fitting those nice, fitted sheepskin seat covers to my 6.9, you know the type with the correct piece for the arm rests, head rests etc...

what affect, if any do these have on the leather covering the seats? do they cause the leather to sweat, because it cannot breathe properly?

WGB

Leather doesn't seem to mind particularly - although I would look out for any sharp seams that might chafe the seat over time

The sheepies are very comfortable and are probably better for the seats than sun and unsanitory bums.

Of course as an ex-Kiwi I have to stand the usual gags about getting close to the wool, asking my wife to wear wool etc. ::)
But then some people can equally unkind words about Tasmanians. ;)
I get it both ways - I have a maternal Great grandmother born in Longford - Tasmania.

The combination of M-B Tex and sheepskins is the industrial equivalent of armour plating with extra depleted uranium covering.

I have had two Mercs with this combination and after 5 and 4 years respectively the seats still looked like no-one had ever sat in them.

Bill

Papalangi

I have two thoughts about sheepskins.

One is that I'm tall enough that the thicker ones make my knees hit the steering wheel.

The other comes from a friend.  He was driving a RX7 and was hit by a pickup head on.  He claims that the sheepskin allowed him to slid up under the dash just as the trucks front differential cracked the windshield.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

Martin 280s

As I live in sunny Brazil, I thought about getting sheepskin cover for a while now, especially for summer use. My seats are parchment MB-Tex which gets dirty quickly. I just don't know where can I get some covers?

Des

Quote from: Martin 280s on 26 February 2007, 10:22 AM
As I live in sunny Brazil, I thought about getting sheepskin cover for a while now, especially for summer use. My seats are parchment MB-Tex which gets dirty quickly. I just don't know where can I get some covers?

My understanding is you can order them new from MB, with a rather steep price tag however.

Brian Crump

When I purchased my 450 some 6 years ago it had sheepskins on the front but not on the centre arm rest. The upper face of the arm rest is worn and MB has arranged to have it recoloured next week by their uphosterer. The passenger seat is as new under the covers but the driver side had worn a little from the covers rubbing on the leather. It too is being recoloured. So yes, the covers will wear the leather underneath but a lot less than no covers at all.
Any good sheepskin shop is able to make covers.
BC

WGB

There is a sheepskin manufacturer in Perth who will make complete sets, individual seats or individual parts eg armrest.

They will also repair and attempt to get as close a colour match as possible.

Memory is about $450 for complete set of fronts seats.

Bill

editjunk

Sheepskin covers are HOT in winter and COOL in summer.

john skene

Some of the best 116 leather seats I have seen lately were protected from the sun by sheepskin covers. On one car I noticed a cloth tie strip hanging underneath the seat, so asked the owner what it was - he had just taken the sheepskin covers off and cut a couple of the tags, so they obviously work.

Des

thanks for the information guys.

:)

Martin 280s

There are a lot of sheepskins on ebay, how will I know which ones are decent??