News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Pushbutton A/C climate control?

Started by oscar, 21 September 2005, 07:23 PM

oscar

This centre console I found on ebay.  It's off a w116 300sd 1980 but I've never seen one before.  Early and late model 116's even 6.9's and the Classic Centre's AMG 6.9 have 4 sliding switches and 2 rotary dials.

Has anyone seen this pushutton setup before?  
Has anyone got this version of controls?  
Does anybody know what cars they were put in? Cheers.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Mforcer

That is from a US model W116. 300SD was only ever sold in the US and they usually came with the climate control airconditioning that was not available in any other markets. Although I have never seen first hand a 300SD, I believe the air conditioning is a more complicated unit and has more features.

Can anyone else provide more information?
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

hokman

I saw on a w126 site, the auto climate controls are troublesome more prone to having problems.

twn75

The system you have there in the picture is a chrysler system liscenced to MB for NA 116s I was junk and the servo fails which nets for about 800USD if you can find one its complex and poorly designed if you can stand selecting your own temprature use the dials

alabbasi

Pretty much all US versions have these controls after 75. They are problematic and I think most US owners (today) would prefer the two dial set up.

I have it in my 6.9, it works fine but I still would prefer dials.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

GSK11740

I have that system in my '79 300Sd and I can already tell by all the rigging the previous owner did to bypass it that it's dead.

I saw this kit online. Anyone know if it's any good? They give it a 5 year warranty and it replaces most of the system. $800 is a bit much.

Digital AC Servo Upgrade Kit

twn75

Well if it works fine as it is don't bother but you're looking at 800 for a used one that is sold as is if you can find it where as this one comes with a 5 year warrenty definitly worth considering

Tomi

Well, they sell these (AC servo) made of aluminum for 250 us$ on ebay (new). I guess this is not so vulnerable to cracking and leaking as the original plastic one is. I bought one of these aluminum ones, easy installation and so far works fine.

GSK11740

Quote from: "Tomi"Well, they sell these (AC servo) made of aluminum for 250 us$ on ebay (new). I guess this is not so vulnerable to cracking and leaking as the original plastic one is. I bought one of these aluminum ones, easy installation and so far works fine.

$250??? I think I may have to hunt for that one. Sounds like it might be a much better deal than $700 for the aftermarket setup. I would prefer to at least try to keep mine original.