News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Polishing rear tail light lenses

Started by raueda1, 20 April 2021, 11:14 AM

raueda1

I recently got this 2-stage plastic polishing kit to restore the clear instrument panel lens. 
https://www.amazon.com/Novus-7100-Plastic-Polish-Kit/dp/B002UCYRZU/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=plastic+polish&qid=1618934854&sr=8-4

The lens wasn't bad at all, but the kit made it look absolutely new.  Same for the MB logo disk in the steering wheel.  In both cases there was a slight surface haze that wasn't even noticeable until it was gone.  surfaces are now mirror-reflective.  Now I wonder about doing the tail light lenses.  I wouldn't hesitate except that I know that some exterior plastic parts are coated (and with high levels of UV absorber).  I have no idea is old MB lenses are coated, but if they are then polishing is probably a bad idea.  Does anybody know for sure?  Thanks and cheers,
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

carzilike

Hi, any before and after pics? I had a few bulbs out on my 280SE and when I pulled the cover off, I could see dirt inside the lens meaning the seals have gone bad... Changing the bulbs isnt helping and I even tried cleaning the contacts using vinegar and some light sanding

Randys01

Dave  I 've thought about polishing the rear lenses but have decided to replace with brand new$$$
That said I would have no hesitation in polishing them and any surface UV treatment they may or may not of ever had has long disappeared into the Ozone layer.
I reckon you will get a fair result bearing in mind they get very deeply scratched over 40 years of washing the sandy road grime off.

raueda1

I haven't done it yet, been preoccupied with other issues.  But now I certainly will!  They're actually in good shape overall, but why not make them sparkle and gleam?  Cheers,
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

90077merc

Has anyone found a good polisher to fit in a drill bit for this?
1974 450 SEL

90077merc

Also what other polishes work on plastic in general. I have heard people use metal polish.
1974 450 SEL

rparker

Can certainly vouch for the Novus polish creams, managed to clean up the tail lenses of an otherwise solid but "Second-hand" looking pair of lenses to the point that when I brought them down to the paint shop, the owner and I had a minor discourse about it so I went down another day a few days later and polished one of his car's rear lenses, yes, one.

I think I got the point across

hehe...

Cheers.
77' W116 280S, 4-Speed Manual