News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Police Officer accidentally smashed into my parked 1980 300SD :-(

Started by avantbenz, 26 August 2020, 03:05 AM

avantbenz

I was laying in bed around 9:00p and I received a knock on the door. It was a police officer who came to apologize for accidentally hitting my 1980 300SD which was parked out front.

When I went outside to look at the damage I saw she had hit the wheel well area of the front drivers side.

How bad does it look? I'll start getting estimates tomorrow but wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts.

The city is self-insured so I hope they'll just pay without trying to total the car out but who knows? Never had to deal with a self-insured police department before.
Daily Driving 'Patience' ~ 1980 300SD

ptashek

Hard to say at a distance, but nevertheless it doesn't look too bad. The upper line where the wing mounts doesn't appear distorted, which is a good sign. My worry would be that if she hit the wheel, the suspension components and lower subframe may have been affected the worst. And that would turn it into a much bigger job.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

floyd111

Right. can you drive to the nearest wheel alignment station, and check whether all is still straight as before? Knowing that could ease worries.

Diesel 617

You won't know until you remove that fender, then you'll have a clear view of it all.  There is tar on the underside between the chassis and fender to seal the seam and bolts. Get multiple estimates too.
X3 1980 300SD Blown Heads, trans -Retired
1980 450SEL Parted out/Scrap
1980 450SEL to Diesel Parted Out/Scrap
1979 280SE Euro Spec Cloth Seats Sold
1979 300CD Daily Driver - Sold

Inventory of w116 Parts
[url="https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff"]https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff[/url]

daantjie

Quote from: ptashek on 26 August 2020, 03:26 AM
Hard to say at a distance, but nevertheless it doesn't look too bad up too. The upper line where the wing mounts doesn't appear distorted, which is a good sign. My worry would be that if she hit the wheel, the suspension components and lower subframe may have been affected the worst. And that would turn it into a much bigger job.

Yup any suspension damage will rack up the $$$$
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Harv

Remember, that fender is glued on as well. They'll need to heat it to pull it off.
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

ptashek

On a side note... What's the back story to this? :)
How the heck does one drive a police cruiser into a parked car? Was it during a pursuit or something?
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

avantbenz

Got my first estimate today. Surprise, surprise - it's difficult to find a good body shop willing and able to work on a 40 year old car!

I took it to Vaco Mercedes in Los Angeles and the initial estimate (including fender, paint, headlight assembly, suspension components, alignment and two new tires to prevent uneven tread wear) is $3560 USD. He thinks it'll take about a week and half to complete and he was clear that it was only an initial estimate and subject to change after he got in there which makes sense.

As for the police officers story: according to the police report she hit it during a three point turn due to "unsafe backing up." She was driving a beefed up 2019 Ford Explorer. I think she was trying to get to the scene of a hit and run. When she came by to apologize and take down my information for the report I had to explain my wallet was stolen last week and my replacement license was in the mail. Yup, been having a string of bad luck recently. 2020 is kicking while I'm down!

I'll let you know when I get another estimate (hopefully Monday). As for the municipality self-insurance - the guy I need to talk to is out of the office until Monday so I still have no idea how their procedure works. Hope they just pay for it with no balking. I'm not going through my insurance company because I'm sure they'd total it for the broken headlight alone and I'm sure the check to total it out wouldn't even cover the entire estimate to get her fixed.

Wish me luck, fellow 116ers! I'll need it.
Daily Driving 'Patience' ~ 1980 300SD

ckamila

I think that estimate is too low. What type of replacement fender will be used? After market fenders use a thinner gauge metal. Alignment, new tire, other front end damage?  I had lesser damage and the estimate was $4K but at a high end shop in Seattle.

Chris
If it's not broke i haven't fix it yet...

1980 300SD, 170K
1985 300D, 235K

gregor77

What was the outcome? 

Easy with the high estimates, I am not sure how it works in your country, but that would be an instant write off.