News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Passenger-side mirror install...

Started by 76116, 09 June 2016, 02:32 PM

...many thanks to estimable fellow forum member UTn_boy for sending me one of the last missing pieces for my '76 SEL,  the passenger-side mirror.

The original owner never ticked the option box for this,  and it's irked me each time I've driven it, looking  for a mirror that isn't there.

I had been given well-intentioned but erroneous info regarding the install of this mirror;  it is NOT necessary to remove the door card to do so.   Simply remove the tiny screw holding the interior chrome triangle with a magnetized phillips screwdriver,  take a thin flexible body tool  and gently pry at the top third until the trim pops off.   Then simply unscrew the three phillips screws holding the trim plate to the door frame,   secure the trim plate so it doesn't go  flying off and punch it clear of the door. 

Good news is the chrome plated plastic trim for the interior is still available from MB...$50 or so....

Car is much nicer to drive now, and looks balanced at the kerb...to my eyes it always looked a bit odd shy of a mirror...

floyd111

That piece of chrome you speak of pops up very regularly on the net, both NOS and used.
You should be able to get it way cheaper than 50 bucks.
I think I posted that number on a dew occasions on the "big NOS" thread. I never paid more than 15  euros for a new one.