News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Passenger side mirror!?

Started by Martin 280s, 22 January 2007, 03:10 PM

Martin 280s

Is there anything I can do to improve the crap view I have from my (right side) passenger mirror?  The one on the left adjusts just fine but the other... I've heard that it could be off a W123 as some parts are the same (mirror body and fitting are aesthetically the same, NOT adjustment).
Suggestions?
Thanks, Martin

Martin 280s

My car is LHD, the problem I have is that I can't see the right side of the car. The mirror doesn't close in enough so I get a view of the kerb etc. when I'm driving normally meaning that's it's impossible to use the mirror to park. I've already stripped the mirror down, all the linkages are free, so the next step is to change the glass itself. I'm also going to try to put an extension on the shoulder inside the body. That may help. 

gregdeklerk

Are you sure you have a right side mirror for a LHD car? If it is a right side mirror for a RHD car, you will have the same problem. The mirrors are not inter-changeable for LHD and RHD cars because of the angles and the different positions of the drivers!

Sounds like you may have a right mirror for a RHD car!!

Greg

oscar

Hi Martin,

Greg's right. I think your car has a right sided RHD mirror, the angles that it can be moved is different to a right sided LHD mirror.  I don't know what markings or part numbers there are to tell you if this is the case with your right hand side mirror

I bought 300sd mirrors from Canada to put on my RHD 350 which has only 1 driver's mirror.  I was told about the difference by someone else on the forum who made the same mistake but he was also able to get into the guts of the mirror and bend a wire or two to make the mirror adjustable for a RHD car.  I haven't delved into the mirror to make these adjustments but I'd assume the same could be done for yours.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

koan

I can never get my RHD LH mirror in a "good" position, it won't go far enough out, I don't need to see the side of the car, I know it's there, I want to see more of the inside lane.

Is it possible I have a LHD LH mirror?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Martin 280s

From the tone of this thread it seems that the mirriors area bit quirky. I found that the LH mirror insert on my car is from 1979. Could that be because the cars were originally sold only with one mirror and then later retro-fitted?

gregdeklerk

My 280SE (RHD) has no left side mirror, so it is possible that your car was not originally sold with a passenger mirror. personally, I think these cars look unbalanced with only one mirror. I am on the hunt for a left side mirror for my car, but these are like hens teeth because of the age of the cars,

Greg

gregdeklerk

Thanks Styria. I will email you.

Greg

gregdeklerk

Look how sad my car looks without a left side mirror!!

Martin 280s

Quote from: gregdeklerk on 25 January 2007, 12:37 AM
Look how sad my car looks without a left side mirror!!

Sad NO, different YES! After all, it still is beautiful.

gregdeklerk

Thanks Martin. She was standing for 5 years before I bought her, so I have just spent a lot on replacing all the fluids, water pipes, radiator and thermostat housing!!

Greg

oscar

I'm sure a 1973 brochure I have for the 350se says a passenger mirror is optional, but I can't find it to confirm.  My 350 has, what I call, the Van Gogh setup.  It used to annoy me and is why I bought the 300sd mirrors.  Apart from the mismatch between LHD and RHD cars the issue of the passenger mirror being more a cosmetic item than being useful has left me to like the single mirror.

A possible tell tale sign to identify if you do have a retro fitted mirror will be the difference in the black plastic internal handle.  The original tends to be grooved, a replacement is similar to w123's and later where there are no grooves and are smooth. The smoother may have been standard on later models but I haven't paid close attention.  To be honest, there could be a number of reasons why some have smooth handles and others are grooved.  All I know is my 280 has a poorly fitted passenger mirror that's loose, not the proper chrome interior plate and both the 280 and my 350 have grooved driver's handles.

Newer Handles

Original Handles

gregdeklerk

Oscar, you are right. On the South African cars, the left side mirror was not offered until 1978 when the range got a minor facelift and then it was still an option. The early cars should have the adjustment handle with the grooves. So strictly speaking, my 74 should not have a left side mirror. My take on your Van Gough principle is that it can also be likened to a bird with only one wing!!

As an aside, the cars also got rear headrests and Zebrano tops to the centre consoles as part of the '78 facelift.

Greg

oscar

Quote from: gregdeklerk on 26 January 2007, 12:19 AM
My take on your Van Gough principle is that it can also be likened to a bird with only one wing!!
Greg

:D :D Ok, fair enough.  Earlier I likened the look as obvious as Shrek with one ear.