News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Painting Grill Plastic

Started by Zagato, 10 January 2009, 09:24 PM

zedster

I am buying the horizontal pieces and all clips from Autohausaz. I broke down and bought the vertical strip from the dealership for $45.10
Part # 1158882385

Bill
1979 450 SEL "Spinne Blaue"

zedster

I got all the parts and put them on.

oscar

Zed that looks great.  Just how it's supposed to be  ;D

But OMG $45!!!!!!!!  it doesn't look gold plated. ::)

Check this, I pulled up on old reciept from autohaus, Aug 2006

1168880185  Weatherstripping/Moulding; Horizontal Grille Moulding; 380mm  $1.55  x 14  $21.70 

1168880385  Weatherstripping/Moulding; Vertical Grille Moulding; 270mm  $1.16 x  1  $1.16 

If only I knew then what you typed above I would've bought a container full.  I only bought one :(

1973 350SE, my first & fave

zedster

My Mercedes mechanic stopped by when I was putting them on and he asked how much I paid. He said, "Jeez you could have bought a new grill on eBay!" He then joked the parts dept was having a party on my behalf. LOL  ;D

s class

Some time ago I did up my 280's grill with strips from autohaus.  I reused the original grey plastic grille, but I had it ultrasonically cleaned - brings it up in a like-new condition. 

In this last photo the redness is a reflection of my jersey. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

zedster

Quote from: oscar on 01 March 2009, 11:46 PM

1168880385  Weatherstripping/Moulding; Vertical Grille Moulding; 270mm  $1.16 x  1  $1.16 

Oscar, I wonder why the different part #? 1158882385 Too bad autohaus didn't have them!

flutes

I've bought  the horizontal pieces from Autohaus ... if anyone knows a good place to get the verticals in Australia I'd be keen to hear about it.

I haven't put them on yet (the car is at Merctalk getting some much-needed love) but it's going to look a little strange with nice shiny new horizontal pieces and a mangy vertical!
Matt
1977 450SEL

TasDriver

On a related note, if you black out the chrome bits, is it possible to 'unblack' them again? Or, is this a one-way operation? I've seen a few photos of cars around that have blacked out both the chrome, all over the car, and the plastic innards referred to in this thread.

Cheers,
    - SteveN

flutes

My guess is it would be extremely difficult to do without damaging the "chrome".  Most of these pieces (as I understand it) are anodised aluminium, not chromed metal.  There are quite a few threads about the best way to clean these or bring them back life and it seems to be very difficult to do.

I'd expect that if you painted them black there would be no way to remove the black paint without irreparably damaging the trim.
Matt
1977 450SEL

Zagato

Finally done!

Before face lift

Old grill comes off!

Replacement grill painted and ready

Old grill finds a new home (as a car key holder)

Replacement grill goes on

Lookin' sharp!

It now looks 18 years younger! Though it makes the plastic-iness of the headlight surrounds look more obvious. That's a job for another day.

oscar

Quote from: Zagato on 26 April 2009, 07:23 PM
It now looks 18 years younger! Though it makes the plastic-iness of the headlight surrounds look more obvious. That's a job for another day.

Looking good zagato  8) perfect colour combo.  Makes me wonder what the headlight surrounds would look like blacked out. I don't know, but I reckon the turn signals smoked would look awsome.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

goldacre

Hi Zedster, i picked up my replacement vertical trim recently and it had exactly the same part number yours had so i got them to double check it and he said it was on their MB system as compatible. he explained that when a particular model car part number becomes redundant like the vertical trim piece, they will always revert back to the first original part number, saves on paperwork etc.

This makes sense as in my old job where we managed patient medical files if there was ever a duplicate created (patient number and/or file ) you always had to merge into the very first, earlier number if possible as this would be more widely distributed around the other hospitals and prevent a more exhaustive system wide file amalgamation.

Hi Flutes, MB Diesel Motors in Welshpool Perth got mine but had to order it ex Singapore and then i could front up with AU$72 (ouch).

But here is a recession busting tip which i was told after my trim purchase is to buy the vertical and if you wish the horizontal trim from the W126 Mercs and cut off the excess where it disappears under the chrome cowling i guess, you cannot tell the difference apparently and the best part is AutohauseAZ still sells them.....cheep  ;)

J
12/1979 450 SEL 148K on clock (museum piece)
12/1986 Lotus Esprit Turbo 87K on clock 'Darling, look what Q has brought for us, isn't it nice' :)

flutes

Thanks J - I've been avoiding putting the horizontal ones on until I could get the vertical.

I don't suppose you can remember which model 126 had the vertical moulding?  I can only seem to find the horizontals (which interestingly seem to have 116 part number) - but I haven't been through all the models yet.

If anyone from Autohaus AZ reads this, please please please put a general part description keyword search on your site that goes across ALL models.

Thanks,
Matt.
Matt
1977 450SEL

goldacre

Hi flutes, bummer about the vertical one being no longer available, i was given that tip some months ago so they probably sold out (when people had seen the original post  :(  ).

I belive all W126 grills are the same so you could try the MB Stealerships and see what they quote.

What i did see for sale on AutohauseAZ for W126 was a whole new grill - chrome cowling, plastic grill insert and all those trim bits brand new for about US$104  :o  I paid half that for one crummy vertical strip  >:(   (this useless piece of info for W116 owners added for an comparative exclamation point)  ::)

Good luck

j

12/1979 450 SEL 148K on clock (museum piece)
12/1986 Lotus Esprit Turbo 87K on clock 'Darling, look what Q has brought for us, isn't it nice' :)