News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Paint resisting brake and other fluids

Started by koan, 04 October 2006, 10:36 PM

koan

I've tried a few different paints, VHT, standard spray can and Killrust epoxy, none I've found are resistant to brake fluid.

Oven baked VHT comes close but it's hard to get big solid items hot enough to cure. Killrust epoxy is a tough finish but last about a day near brake fluid.

What sort of paint is used on petrol tanks? It resists toluene based paint strippers.

Just want black, Any suggestions?

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

koan

I was down at Bursons buying oil and noticed a new (to me) product, VHT brake caliper paint, didn't have time to read the label but I would hope it's resistant to brake fluid attack, will check next time.

k

john skene

Why not just change to Silicone brake fluid and save worrying about any corrosion and paint stripping problems?

koan

Quote from: john skene on 06 October 2006, 04:37 AM
Why not just change to Silicone brake fluid and save worrying about any corrosion and paint stripping problems?

Never been clear what the differences in brake fluids are, I know DOT 5 fluid is bad for DOT 4 rubber parts.

Where does silicone fluid fit in?

k

john skene

I have not used Silicone fluid, but from everything I have read it is not harmful to rubber parts, and does not cause corrosion to the metal parts either, but it may make the pedal feel a bit spongy.