News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Original Becker radios or period radios

Started by gregdeklerk, 07 February 2007, 05:28 AM

gregdeklerk

I am a bit of a stickler for originality. The problem with the original radios for our cars is that they are as old as the cars and we all know that in today's terms the sound of the old radios is poor. What do you guys feel on this subject?

Greg

Des

on a pure aesthetic appeal the Mexico remains the best choice, followed closely by the new Becker Mexico retro model.

I have somewhere a picture of a W126 style Becker radio system in wood grain, that I will try to find and post which looks great in a 6.9

Des

Here it is:

Just look at it, should have been a factory job, look how it blends in with the wood, the air con controls, the wooden gear shifter, it all should have been factory, look at how nice it makes the cabin, enhances the driver experience.

oscar

Des, you're not wrong, that looks fantastic. 

Greg, I have a Becker Monza and I love the look of the original Beckers.  After a bit of a rebuild by me and getting the right speaker atttachments I also replaced the original 4 speakers with Sony cheap xplod ones.  The lot sounds crap IMO but better than the AM only AWA radio setup that was original.  My belief is that the speakers are to blame.  You get what you pay for. 

One install that comes to mind is AMG69's Becker Mexico.  I think from memory with 6 speakers and added amp under the passenger seat he is more than happy with it.  I'd be chuffed with it!! http://forum.w116.org/index.php/topic,424.0.html
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Des

Quote from: oscar on 07 February 2007, 06:00 AM
Des, you're not wrong, that looks fantastic. 

I just wish I knew what it was, says something like Becker AMP on the front,

oscar

I think it says AVUS.  The shape of the unit looks familiar and I checked out soundlabs.com.au which months ago were selling old stock or used units that looked similar.  I shall search AVUS and seee what I can find.

oscar

gregdeklerk

It looks to me like it is a later model radio. It is not out of a 126.

oscar

No idea what the model is exactly or which car they're for but here's some links of what's available ATM. Greg you've opened a can of worms.  The availability of wood faced Becker's has me revaluating how much I like the chrome/pinstripe design compared to a modern setup.

soundlabs AUS has a becker 2039 with amp package which looks very much like Des' photo but without wood.

Koenigs has a very nice and similar burl wood fascia cassette deck  2330

Zebrano for the above radio is available

To top it off, a burlwood CD version is available.

nathan

whose original Becker mexico isnt remote controlled and cant control their CD stacker?
unfortunately i cannot post pics of my 50 hr labour of love as my home computer is a long way away presently
cheeky-ly
nathan
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

gregdeklerk

Nathan, I think you posted this on Yahoo right?

oscar

I'm just surprised Nathan can make it to a computer whilst he's OS.  If my wife caught me in an internet cafe with w116.org on the screen she'd probably find another travel buddy and ditch me there and then.

nathan

Oscar,
im not computer savvy enough to buy a decent computer, let alone a laptop...i have been scretly waiting for my wife to fall asleep then running off to local net cafes to make horrible spelling mistakes on these foreign keyboards!
i posted the old mexico setup on yahoo a long time ago, it was a painful setup abbreviated by AMG chris who just used an ipod...my setup means the power dial on the old becker turns on the hidden alpine unit, then i hid a remote infrared sensor behind the beckers panel which i can use the hidden decks remote for to control all stations, volume, the stacker blabla bla...this setup gave me the better output of a modern deck (power wise) and all the modern conveniences - however keeping the beuaty of the becker
anyhow, time to pack for styrian country as off to austria tomorrow to see how benzes longest running production model is going
http://www.g4rce.net/engl/worldwide.php
regards
nathan
PS stryria would never sell the beauty, he is obviously being held at gunpoint
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te