News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

oily film on inside of windows

Started by 3l33ter, 30 May 2016, 08:57 PM

3l33ter

I don't drive my 280S right now - I'm waiting for some free time to do some work on it.

So when I bought it, the windows were clean. But a few weeks later, the oily film developed. I cleaned it. A few weeks later, it was back. Cleaned it again. I let it sit for a few months, and the film was so bad that it was dripping down is some places. It cleans off with a lot of effort, and I'm sick of having to do this all the time. It's like a hazy fog on all the glass which obscures the view outside, so I can't really drive until I clean it every time.

I did some searching online and I think it's the vinyl interior outgassing oils/plasticizers. The interior is all vinyl - seats, door panels, etc. Does anyone else have this problem? What's the solution? I could put in leather seats, but there's still the dash, the center console, etc.

Thanks!
'75 280S
'77 6.9
'82 300TD

UTn_boy

You research led you to the correct cause of the haze that develops.  There isn't anything one can do except keep the car out of the heat and sun when not driving.  Heat speeds up the process.  I can usually go all winter without having to clean the insides of my glass.  When spring and summer arrives, it's game on.  Every 4-7 days.  Even if you have leather interior, it'll still do it because the leather will release oils, too.  Again, keep the car our of the heat and sun when it's not being driven.  Even a car cover will slow the process down if you don't have a place to park it out of the sun/heat. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

3l33ter

I wish I could keep the car out of the sun, but currently all of the garage space is being taken up by the 6.9, and my friend's W114 that I'm working on.

I have several other cars which are all kept outside too, and they don't have this film/haze problem. This includes my W123 which has vinyl MBtex interior. After I swapped the front seats for leather ones, no change, never any residue on the glass.

Actually, when my 6.9 was outside, it was outside for almost a year straight, and it never had the problem either. It's a 1977, has blue interior just like my 1975 280S, except it has leather seats. Was there a change in interior material at some point? I'm tempted to strip the 280S's interior and put back 1 piece at a time until I see the residue again, haha.
'75 280S
'77 6.9
'82 300TD