News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

new speedometer

Started by AMG69, 18 February 2008, 09:47 PM

AMG69

I found this place in Perth who could make up a new speedometer - alot cheaper than the AMG 0-300 version on EBAY too !

Go to it lads! ;)

I really need another 6.9 dont I.....  :-\

http://www.appliedinstruments.dyndns.org/

http://www.appliedinstruments.dyndns.org/dialsmerc.html
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

WGB

Quote from: AMG69 on 18 February 2008, 09:47 PM

I really need another 6.9 dont I.....  :-\

Yes

Quote from: AMG69 on 18 February 2008, 09:47 PM
I found this place in Perth who could make up a new speedometer - alot cheaper than the AMG 0-300 version on EBAY too !

http://www.appliedinstruments.dyndns.org/dialsmerc.html

I have given them a bell and a ball-park figure for a one off silk screen face is about $220 (Less if others are made) and about $30 to have the speedo recalibrated.

I might go for a drive and eye ball the guy tomorrow if I get time.

Bill

WGB

Arrived home to take my wife for lunch today and my wife said "I thought you wanted to see about a Speedo".

So we had a pleasant lunch and then I drove up to Balcatta and talked to a pleasant but not very communicative Frenchman called Arnaud with whom I left an old instrument cluster from a 450 - that Nathan gave me - as a donor for the speedo face.

I gave him the photos and said that I will e-mail the originals - pointed out the difference in size of the numerals between the "Classic Centre Speedo" and the "E-Bay Speedo" - and when the face was ready I would return with my 6.9 cluster so that he could fit it and calibrate the speedo.

He said - We're very busy give me two weeks.

We'll see what eventuates but I won't fit the face unless I am happy.

Could AMG69 give me a little more time to budget for his next addition to my car ;D

Bill

koan

Is this gentleman going to paint the speedo face by hand?

Did a bit of research today on screen printing, for small jobs the setup cost from art work would be around $100 to $150 and a few dollars per item after that, so it wouldn't be outrageously expensive to do a few. That was the first place I tried, no doubt a better price could be found.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

WGB

No - they screen print their own faces (or have them done anyway)

This firms background would appear to be Hot-Rod/Street-car conversions but their office was littered with M-B clusters from 50's up to 00's.

The black background is also screen printed as it gives better adhesion to the lettering so there are three colours - the number of colours is the major price determiner.

It won't be going anywhere near my car until I am happy with the result so the act of faith has been made and we'll see what happens.

Bill

AMG69

sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

WGB

Hi Guys,

I'm not worried about the money side at all but I certainly have zero interest in becoming the West Australian agent for 300 K speedos due to the time factor.

What I will do is that the next time I am speaking to the firm I will say that others are interested in the same thing and what happens to the silk screens etc  and how much if others want another face etc.

I would wait first and see what the quality is like and then you can deal with the firm individually or I can pick it up and arrange postage or something. The place is an hours drive from where I live so it's not just around the corner and it may be easier if you deal direct if he will post them to you.

I'll certainly give them an introduction for you and see what happens.

Bill

koan

I well understand your desire not to become the (inter)national agent.

Your suggestion to the firm about further faces is the best way for all I think.

koan

WGB

I guess I need a number - who is interested in a face if it proves to be a successful copy?

If I have a number I can approach the firm and discuss hows, whys, and how much.

I would think that unless you live locally it would be a simpler exercise just to send and receive a face and have the speedo calibrated locally.

Bill

koan

Quote from: WGB on 21 February 2008, 02:30 AM

I guess I need a number - who is interested in a face if it proves to be a successful copy?

One here please.

koan

oscar

To build the numbers up chalk me up for one. 

What use a 300km/hr speedo is going to be on a 350se I don't know but, what the hell. 

A 350km/hr speedo on a 350SE would make more sense ;D ;D ,

but yeah, put me down for one WGB. ;)
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Andrew280SEL

*raises hand...*

One here, please  :)

Like Oscar, I don't know what use one would be in my 350 but what the hell, since it's getting an AMG spoiler fitted and a few other little touches I figure why not. ;)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9