New Italvolanti (AMG look-a-like) Steering wheel.

Started by oscar, 12 May 2006, 06:51 AM

oscar

It's amazing what you find in a google search.  It's so easy to get sidetracked too.  Whilst looking for a link on a mythical rainbow coloured, AK47 armed, fleet of 116's(see thread), I found this Italvolanti mahogany steering wheel on ebay. Brand new and 20+ years old, $212 with boss kit.  Original box and not a mark or fingerprint on it. 

Well, I love it.

It's 380mm diameter is much smaller than the original which is 410mm I think.  This is a downside IMO as the visibility of the dials is restricted which I didn't think would be that bad but it is.  See the third photo.

However, the wood is thick, it's comfortable and the diameter is still large enough that the car doesn't feel heavier . Reaching to the wheel feels natural without having to keep your elbows in.  I've never heard of the brand before, it's Italian (as if the name doesn't give that away) and the quality is spot on.  The leather is faultless as is the wood finish.  Still many miles to drive to test it's ergonomics, but so far so good.  See what you think.

Pics of the car; About two months ago added chrome wheel arches (should own up; cheaper stainless steel ones on sale).  Also resprayed rocker panels, wheel wells and underneath rear with a black rust guard.  Also discovered I've got a stainless steel rear muffler which was covered in a few layers of paint and grime that I've been trying to clean with some success.  Looks good from behind. Wheel wells were white before, much, much better now.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

oscar

ARRRGH! What are you trying to do to me Styria!?!?  No emoticons, no hint of a gag. You're not one I'd readily argue with re 116 matters.  Me here thinking any sweatshop could engrave "Made in Italy".  You got me.  ;D

Mforcer

I recently purchased an AMG steering wheel in similar style to your wheel and I think it too says Italvolanti on the back of the metal mounting plate. Seems genuine to me. AMG would not have built their own steering wheels but would have outsourced their production. Even if not, it still looks great, feels great and is a nice change from the original wheel!
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

oscar

Hi Mforcer.  Well that's even more comforting. ;D Although I've only seen photos of the AMG wheel, I was amazed how similar the leather centre pad and the horn buttons on mine looked.   Not just based on the AMG but a different version of the same I thought.  Is your AMG wheel diameter 380mm too?

Front spoiler, penta wheels and a becker stereo, my mini makeover will be complete.  8)

AMG69

sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

Mforcer

Quote from: styria on 15 May 2006, 04:46 AM
Regarding that steering wheel on ebay-careful, the size of the steering shaft splines vary between 116 and those of later models !

It's not the steering wheel you need to be careful of, just make sure you have the correct hub on to which the wheel attaches.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

oscar

All I know is that mine and early ones are 15mm splines.  The place I got the wheel from sent an email with a quick rundown on which model's what, but that email's AWOL.  I thought that the larger (can't remember size) spline was late 70's although I've been told by another ebayer that they went back to 15mm.  Someone care to clarify?

ChrisM, it's been ages since I've watched an AMG wheel, it'll be interesting to see what it goes for.  BTW what's the story with yours and the shape of the hub cover? I haven't seen one like that before.

AMG69

Oscar, Im aware of the two different types of AMG steering wheel from about 1978 - 1988 (then airbags were in) - mine and yours; I used to know their German names but cant recall now; as for which came first - I seem to recall my AMG brochure from 1984 shows both steering wheels available at that date; In addition many were not black but colour coded to the interior - often tan in colour.
As for price, I've watched mots go for $300 pls (Aussie); ie they fetch now what they fetched in 1984....amazing.
cheers
Chris

sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!