News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

New chrome bumpers availability

Started by ngruzevs, 06 December 2018, 11:34 PM

ngruzevs

I'm currently restoring a 450SE and searching for a good rear bumper. To date I've purchased two, but both were in such bad condition, that there wasn't an option to re-chrome. As I'm spending a lot of $$$$$$ on restore, hence I'm now actually considering purchasing a new rear bumper. Are new Euro bumpers available? It does look like Niemoller sells them.

Has anyone got any feedback on the option to purchase new and if so, recommendations on where to buy?
1971 MK2 Jensen Interceptor
1979 W116 450SE
1987 W126 300SE
2007 Lexus LS460
2018 Hyundai i30N

UTn_boy

All front and rear chrome pieces for Euro bumpers are still available from Mercedes as of a month ago.  Be careful buying from places like Niemoller, as they buy the parts from Mercedes and mark them up.  Though, they sometimes have a better deal, so shop around.  You can even buy them through your local dealership, but you'll have to take the part numbers to them, physically put it in their hand, and ask them nicely to order the part numbers written down on the piece of paper.  As expensive as they are, when you compare the price to buy good used ones, have those re-chromed, the price difference will either be astounding or negligible.  Either way, I'm just thankful that there are options.  Sometimes we don't get to "pick our poison".....it picks us. haha
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

nathan

I would think prices here in Au from the dealer would be wild.  You should probably chat to RobertD on this site in Victoria as he may have some.  The simplest solution would be to buy an entire 116 off gumtree for pittance and take the bits you need, calling the metal wreckers to take the car afterwards!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

ngruzevs

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm just waiting on Niemoller for a quote, I estimate a brand new 3 piece bumper would cost ~$2000 AUD (not including shipping), but will wait for firm pricing. Given I've spent close to 140 hours on the body work, a new 3 piece bumper will pale into insignificance. I have now sourced a good rear bumper, chrome is excellent, but it does have a couple of scratches and and indent, I would say it's about an 8/10.

You may call me recalcitrant, but given the amount of time and effort I've invested, I don't think I'm going over the top.
1979 W116 450SE
1987 W126 300SE
2007 Lexus LS460
2018 Hyundai i30N

UTn_boy

Well, to own and properly restore a W116 of any kind requires one to be recalcitrant.....it's just a prerequisite.  haha  If one is concerned about having more in the car than it'll ever be worth, then all is lost.  A large part of being an enthusiast means being recalcitrant and unconcerned about cost in the end.  And by the way, don't forget your joint covers for where the three pieces converge.  I also believe that most, if not all, of the bracketry for between the chassis and the bumpers is still available, too. 

floyd111

The bracketry has been well-available tlll now, the little chrome pieces were NLA a few years ago (2 out of 3?) Found them in NOS, but few and mostly overpriced. I would buy any and all of them still. Rear bumpers (the lower straight piece) are worth their weight in silver and more, and one should never leave a nice unit on a dumped car. One little accident and you're out of a fortune and in for a mission to replace it, if ill-prepared.

I second the Niemoller warning, both for "obviously OEM" parts pricing and also for all other parts, that are advertised as if they are MB, without actually telling you they are.. or are not. You may end up buying Febi in a transparent bag without labels, after picking MB/Niemoller numbers from their parts fiches. -for a price that seems friendly, 25% cheaper MB NOS, but is actually overpriced aftermarket.

UTn_boy

Currently, only the front left joint covering isn't available.  The front right and both rear ones are still available......and they're actually reasonably priced at 30-50 Euros each.  The rear center part of the lower bumper.....yeah.  They're proud of that at nearly 900 Euros. 

marku

That is some price. It would be easier to replace but not a that price so going to attempt a repair, its rotted through just under the flange that holds the rubber strip, and rechrome.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

floyd111

Is that the price now? 900?? I paid half of that, in shock, for each of the 2 units rear bumper i bought 2 years ago.

Be warned with the re-chroming. Not only is the new chrome color no longer the same as the rest -due to certain chemicals and heavy metals made illegal-, but there is a lot of difference in workmanship.
A proper international hunt WILL lead you to find bumpers much cheaper then 900usd, either NOS or used. Just needs work and time. While you're at it, buy a pair of them, for it's just a matter of when when you back up and hit something. Save a bucket on shipping most likely,

ptashek

Quote from: floyd111 on 12 December 2018, 10:38 PM
Be warned with the re-chroming. Not only is the new chrome color no longer the same as the rest -due to certain chemicals and heavy metals made illegal-, but there is a lot of difference in workmanship.

I've re-chromed all of my bumpers, the grill frame and all trunk lid trim, and the shade is no different to the original spare set I have. The finish is better though, especially on the bottom bumper parts.

If re-chroming, always insist on triple-plating: first one or more layers of copper, each polished to perfection, and only then chrome and nickel. Many shops, to cut costs and due to shortage of skilled polishers, do away with the copper part, and the finished product doesn't look as good, and doesn't last as long.

It's a dying trade and people with the required skills to produce a flawless finish are few and far between. Prices will vary wildly across regions too as it's a very labour intensive process.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

marku

There is a plater not far from here I plan to use. They say that they always copper plate first. Now that I am thinking of getting some plating done I have been looking it all with a more critical eye. Looks like I will be putting a lot of trade their way. I did buy the car with the intention of doing just basic work mostly engine but it has got really out of hand. It is keeping me occupied though and out of trouble.

ngruzevs

Thanks for all the replies, as it's help me to determine which path to take. I'm going to initially use the bumper I purchased second hand, it's an 8/10, but the key is that it has no rust and in time I will go ahead and rechrome it.
1979 W116 450SE
1987 W126 300SE
2007 Lexus LS460
2018 Hyundai i30N

Balfour

Quote from: marku on 13 December 2018, 12:07 PM
There is a plater not far from here I plan to use. They say that they always copper plate first. Now that I am thinking of getting some plating done I have been looking it all with a more critical eye. Looks like I will be putting a lot of trade their way. I did buy the car with the intention of doing just basic work mostly engine but it has got really out of hand. It is keeping me occupied though and out of trouble.

Could you fire me over the details for the company you use? Going to need someone in the near future...

marku

Balfour