News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

New boot lid

Started by marku, 21 January 2018, 11:32 AM

marku

Been playing around for some time now with fitting a replacement boot lid as the old one had a bit if rot behind the model badge and it has been a real problem. First thought I could get away without stripping it back. Got a reaction on spraying so had to start again and this time stripped back to metal. Metallic cellulose went on fine but had problems with the clear coat. Really bad orange peel which I tried to flat down with not much success so decided to start again and stripped it back to metal.  Got back to the clear coat again but still problems as coating should have wetter I was told. Any way left it to really harden off. Had a go at flatting it starting with 600 grit right up to 2000. Bought myself a polishing machine, compound and polishing head thought it a bit of over kill  but never having used one before I had a go yesterday. What a finish like glass and so easy. Only trouble makes the rest of the paintwork look poor so I guess that's the next job.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

rumb

3M-39060-Perfect-It-Rubbing-Compound-16-oz  works extremely well with a polisher for making a nice smooth finish. 

Then I use Griot's  Finish Sealer - last a year. very good

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/boss+finishing+sealant.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

marku

Did look at the 3M but thought it was a bit expensive. Picked up some Farecla compound and polish which worked really well. Looked so good I will probably be enjoying myself polishing everything.

daantjie

Quote from: marku on 23 January 2018, 11:54 AM
Did look at the 3M but thought it was a bit expensive. Picked up some Farecla compound and polish which worked really well. Looked so good I will probably be enjoying myself polishing everything.

3M or nothing ;)
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

s class

Farecla is excellent, its what we use. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

marku

No experience of the 3M but did think the system expensive running to three compounds. The Farecla I got, must have been old stock, was only one plus a hand applied polish. As I said worked really well.