News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Need ideas on color to paint the car.

Started by rparker, 22 September 2021, 01:46 AM

rparker

Hello all,
Am a newish owner of a 77' 280S which came to me in relatively solid body condition, some rust and I intend to put right however not restored factory specs. A mild resto-mod to put it kindly. I am however stumped on the choice for color to paint the car. It has been bugging me for weeks already and is really weighing on me for some reason. I have a color in mind but I can't find a make and model (paint code) and was wondering if any of you have any ideas or might be familiar with any other car company with the color. Yes I have consulted the painter, he has said it is apple candy red which I firmly declined as the car isn't going to be a hot-rod.

Basically, a black paint with red metallic flakes or pearlescent red . At night it would be black to the observer however only under intense sunlight (or direct torch), the red would be visible only at a straight on angle. Against the sun, the car is still mostly black but with a streak red where the sun strikes it at a particular angle only. A playfulness of red on the canvas of black is what I can best describe it. The red would be very hard to see and only visible on the brightest of days.

I've attached pics of the said car, the rims which the car will ride on and also the choice of carpet that has been ordered. The car will be lowered and stanced exactly like the Mechatronik W116 6.9. The car currently has an all black interior so the full dark red carpet set would compliment the said color choice hopefully.

The paint with the same effect that I've seen would be the Nissan/Infiniti Malbec Black however it is a Black/Purple color.

Thank you for your time and ideas.

Ryan.

77' W116 280S, 4-Speed Manual

revilla

Hi,
This might or might not help as it seems you're going with a non-Mercedes colour. As you can see from the list there aren't too many options in black.
http://meinbenz.de/farben/116/farbcodes116.htm

rparker

Thanks for that. It's almost certainly going to be a non-Mercedes color. However, that chart will be very useful. Thanks for sharing that!

Ryan

rumb

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

rparker

Awesome! Its the search parameters and maybe duckduckgo that is giving good results. Tried this with google images but wasn't successful previously.

Thank you!

mrkozzy

MrKozzy

BCDC

When in doubt alway paint it deep burgundy
1978 280SE Cream with blue interior. With SLS

rparker

Ok thanks for the feedback guys.

Deeper research overnight and I think I got it already.

For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXJ1C5aME1c

comes with "Recipe" too ;)

Cheers.

TNNBENZ

I do not think I have ever seen a black interior without black carpet  :-\  :o  :-\
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

rparker

Probably not, but I'll have to change the carpets anyway, previous owner went with cheap off the shelf carpet, stuff you wrap your subwoofer box with, which is just annoying to look and feel. So went a bit creative and got K. H. Mayer to do a whole set in red. Going for the Louboutin look ;)

Flogrates

Is be painting it a colour they came in. Can't really beat a white one imo

TNNBENZ

Quote from: rparker on 16 October 2021, 05:45 PM
Probably not, but I'll have to change the carpets anyway, previous owner went with cheap off the shelf carpet, stuff you wrap your subwoofer box with, which is just annoying to look and feel. So went a bit creative and got K. H. Mayer to do a whole set in red. Going for the Louboutin look ;)
Yes I totally agree with something new & creative......I gave a puzzled look because I was straining my brain trying to remember if I ever saw non black on black interior.
    My first desire is to have a white convertible with red and maybe some white interior.  Then later add another car with an exotic exterior colur" .......
   Here is more Black & Red.......Shoes cost more than my current Merc.....

Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

floyd111

I am not too sure about that combo. It also could be the end of any resale value when you get tired of this project. Why not check out the various original combo's, see what you like about those? You can also choose from 2 color windows, or use colored window UV stickers. You could pick an original color combo and then wrap the car in the color you want, protect the new laquer for resale.
Wheels can always be switched back later on.

rparker

Not worried about resale value. This was my dad's old car that he sold 30 odd years ago and I'm lucky to have found it over so many year later in running condition, never going to sell it again. I'm age 41 this year and I remember bringing the old tail lights when my dad replaced them years ago to the school sale (I was 12) and thought me the concept of demand and supply at an early stage. Many old memories of driving through the local villages and visiting friends in this exact same car. Even still has the same stubborn drivers side rear door from so many years ago. Would you believe that the spare tire is still the same old one that my dad replaced all those years ago.

Cheers.

Ryan

revilla

Thinking resale value will kill most if not all the pleasure of restoring/maintaining/improving/driving ours cars.  Case in point, your story above describes well the satisfaction feeling of restoring/recovering a car without putting $ figures in front. You heard it before, our W116s will hardly reach financial break even after considering all the expenses involved including labor (even if done by ourselves).