News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

my speedo just died

Started by Big_Richard, 02 January 2011, 01:43 AM

Big_Richard

that cable had been making a noise for a long time, i suspect the 500 km of driving i decided to do finished it off  8)

Big_Richard

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 09 January 2011, 05:29 PM
that cable had been making a noise for a long time, i suspect the 500 km of driving i decided to do finished it off  8)

I took a gamble and contacted the people who recalibrated WGB's 300kmh speedo for him and they do infact re-manufacture and supply new speedo cables for any car.

they are happy to re-manufacture or supply a complete new assembly for my 6.9. I just have to remove the cable from the car now and drop it off to them. (Applied Instruments in Balcatta)

WGB

Sounds good - they seem to know what they are doing although a genuine 450 one is quite adequate in length.

Any idea of price?

Bill

Big_Richard

no idea on price, but im going to need my 6.9 drivable before this weekend so genuine isnt really an option at this time.

Big_Richard

Wow, I'm slacker than what i thought, 43 days after the event i have finally removed my speedo cable.

I had been dreading this day thinking i would have all kinds of trouble.

Its actually a piece of piss and takes less than a leisurely half an hour with the correct tools at hand.

It is a tough call, 50mm shorter genuine cable or correct length reman with original rotting body grommet.

WGB

Go buy  a new 450 one going by my experience.

Relatively cheap and fits just fine.

Bill

Big_Richard

now that i look at it, i dont think this cable is genuine anyway.

its 1615mm long, its entire length is encase in foam tube other than 1 foot in the centre where the clamp goes on it.

EDIT: yes it is genuine, i just looked at the EPC and its exactly what this one looks like, the 6.9 item is also 1620mm which would be the same as mine as clearly i was inaccurate in measuring ;)

Big_Richard

my speedo works again

just picked up and installed my "applied instruments" 6.9 speedo cable  with a new inner cable, apparently the outer cover was perfect. $55, cant complain about that at all.

the speedo needle is also now rock solid at all speeds - awesome.

Was a pleasant surprise to drive the 6.9 too, sure beats the daily pisspot 4cylinder POS.
8)

WGB

Pleased that you are happy.

A new cable sure makes a big difference to the speedo needle wobble.

Bill

Big_Richard

these guys are a good contact to have - regarding my speedo cable repair, they could of had it done the same day i dropped it off - but i told them no rush as i wasnt going to be anywhere near there again till today.

I noticed MB + BMW cruise control modules scattered around the place in there too, they obviously are willing to have a go at anything.

TJ 450

It soulds like I know where to go when mine chucks a wobbly so to speak. :D

It's always good going for a drive in the 116.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

WGB

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 17 February 2011, 05:50 AM
these guys are a good contact to have

They seem very good at what they do and do mechanical, electronic and printing work from that same little shop and seem well known among the M-B community.

Bill