News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

My 1977 450 SEL

Started by laughoutlloyd8, 02 June 2011, 12:08 AM

laughoutlloyd8

Well I figure I post up some pictures of my W116 with a little introduction, I have these photo's saved on my computer. It currently has 28,500 miles on the odometer.  It belong to my grandmother, but she doesn't drive it at all the past 20 years.  I would start it up once a month just to keep things in tact.  

I do have plans on fixing her up cosmetically, looking into getting knockoff BBS RS wheels 16x9 since the reals ones cost way too much; and lower the car just to cover the wheel gap.  BTW does anybody know where I can obtain lowering springs here in the States? People tell me to cut the factory springs, but I object in doing so.  Any recommendation will be appreciated

This is the recent pic when I took it to a benz meet

The daily

jbrasile

laughoutlloyd8,

Sorry to butt in... but why not keep the car original? Sounds like your  grandma has had the 450 for a long time, is she the original owner perhaps?

116'S in nice condition and original are so difficult to find I would really consider leaving the car as is. Perhaps you could remove the pin stripping if it's the adhesive kind and if you want to get different wheels go for a set of 14 or 15 original bundt cakes. They will make the looks a little less formal while keeping everything as MB intended, just my .02..

Tks,

Joe

laughoutlloyd8

Yea, I was thinking about picking up a set of 14 inch chrome bundt wheels, I know of a person that's selling a set right now and just might send him a notice of interest

oh and yes, she is the original owner.

hi ho

Maybe a set of euro bumpers, bundt wheels and lose the pin stripes...

But most importantly as Joe says - keep the car original - it's heartening for us to know there are 116's out there like yours :)

calvin streeting

tell your gran.. "she's got good taste" nice car..

s class

Changing/cutting springs on a low-miles car would be a real shame. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Type17

Quote from: hi ho on 02 June 2011, 01:16 AM
Maybe a set of euro bumpers, bundt wheels and lose the pin stripes...

But most importantly as Joe says - keep the car original - it's heartening for us to know there are 116's out there like yours :)

Yes, keep it original, it'll look better and be worth more - that might not be true with a more heavily-used car, but it's always the case with something this original and low-mileage.

Here's my 33,000 mile UK-spec version (same color, Silver-Green, but a 350SE) to let you see the euro bumpers:

click for image
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

TJ 450

Do I see Michelin XWXs on those wheels? 8)

Nice car.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

s class

I can't see clearly enough, but I think those are Michelin XVS. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

jbrasile

If they are XVS's then one more reason not to touch the car, SUPER RARE TIRES!

It is hard to keep "telling" someone what to do or not to do with their own car but laughoutlloyd8, PLEASE try to resist temptation and leave the 450 as is!!! The only thing I would do as I said, would be to remove the pin striping if at all possible.

I don't like US bumpers/headlights either but in this case I'll make an exception for originality sake....

Can you post some pictures of the interior?

Thanks

Joe

1980sdga

What's up with the XVS's? I'm with everyone else on originality.

laughoutlloyd8

i'm going to try and obtain the car today after work and take some more pictures.  As for the tires, I think they are still original, i'll double check, but i do know for sure the back tire needs to be changed out soon.....

Type17

Quote from: laughoutlloyd8 on 02 June 2011, 10:50 AM
i'm going to try and obtain the car today after work and take some more pictures.  As for the tires, I think they are still original, i'll double check, but i do know for sure the back tire needs to be changed out soon.....

You can check the age of the tires (tyres) by checking the date codes - more info here. If they are old, keep your speed low (under 40mph) until they get changed - check out my story of old XVS's halfway down that webpage.
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

laughoutlloyd8

wow, thanks for the tip, i've been meaning to buy new tires, i might have to pick some up by this month

TJ 450

I was forgetting that the 450s came with XVSs... They've been out of production for a very long time as far as I know.

It's one thing to have original tires, but they need to be safe of course.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500