News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

My 1977 450 SEL

Started by laughoutlloyd8, 02 June 2011, 12:08 AM

jbrasile

laughoutlloyd8,

The only Michelin available  in the States at regular tire sources for this car in the correct size 205/70-14 is the Harmony.

You can get them from The Tire Rack

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Harmony&partnum=07SR4HARMONYV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

They are S rated and not H  as the original XVS's but that should not be a problem, even the MB Classic Center uses them on some of their show and customer cars.

You can buy  XWX's from Coker Tires which are V rated but they cost $505.00 each

http://store.cokertire.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=205/70VR14

If possible try to store the original tires for historical purposes, one day if you decide to sell the car an aficionado might appreciate that, it's just nice to keep these things around....

Tks,

Joe

Type17

The Michelins I was offered in Europe were going to cost over US$620 each(!)

I replaced my old XVS's with Vredestein Sport Classics. They 'only' cost around US$290 each. They're a good choice if you don't want to spring for Michelins, but still want good grip and minimal air-loss.

The only other tyres that were available in the correct size were a few low-end budget brands which I won't mention, but which are known around here as "ditch-finders"!

'76 350SE in Silver-Green

laughoutlloyd8

I was looking into getting some Milestar MS75 Tires, they are cheap and they come in 215/70/14.  Ebay sells them for 275 for all four and 80 for shipping.

but I might go with the harmony just to be on the safe side

laughoutlloyd8

Finally got a hold of the car, here are some interior pictures

it needs some cleaning on the leather and carpet

jbrasile

laughoutlloyd8,

INCREDIBLE!!!

Congratulations on a pristine 116. I had suspected that the car would be something special, and after seeing these pictures I was right.

A 450SEL in this condition  is the kind of vehicle you want to cherish and enjoy without any modifications whatsoever so try to keep everything stock and in working condition.

How is the pedigree, do you have manuals, spare keys, window sticker, etc...?

Tks,

Joe

300SDude

Not so crazy about the booger green color, but that was hip back in the day.

Other than that, it is a beautiful car, and I agree, keep it as original as possible and you'll have a car worth some bucks.

If you want to customize one, there are plenty still out there.

I got mine for $500 back in August, and have redone a lot of it.

300SDude

laughoutlloyd8

yup, after taking my car to a recent meet, alot of the old fellas told me to keep everything as is because of its current condition.  My adolescence of fixing it up has finally reach maturity haha

Everyone keeps telling me to take out the pinstripes, but it looks painted on, there's nothing to peel...

jbrasile

laughoutlloyd8,

It is possible to have painted paint stripes removed but it needs to be done a by a skilled professional. Given that you are in the Irvine area, I suggest you stop by the Mercedes-Benz Classic Center off of Bake on Whatney and ask them if they can do it for you. They had a 79 6.9 with 200 miles that got sold to a client and Abu-Dabi and that car had its painted stripes removed.

Ask for Tom Hanson or Woody and tell them Joe Brasileiro suggested you  stop by.

Tks,

Joe

gavin116

Hi Laughoutlloyd8,

Your car is in such nice condition, it is always enjoyable to see such a time-capsule.  I do like the parchment interior, it goes so well with the green exterior.  I notice that pin-striping  seemed to be all the rage in the US, as most of the cars I have seen on the internet, especially European 116's are without pinstripes, and if you do see pin stripes, then its always a US car.  

Did your gran import this car from the UK, as closer inspection of the speedometer reveals several quirks.  I notice that it is a similar unit used in UK cars where we have to have duel units of measurements, i.e. mph and kph.  I also notice that strangely it has a 107 preface, and not a 116 on the speedo part number.  Although those bumpers and headlights are unmistakably US.

What a great car, what a great gran!

Regards

Gavin
1979 450SE "Mrs White"
2022 Touareg-R 3.0TSi Hybrid
[url="http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/"]http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/[/url]
[url="http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613"]http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613[/url]

jbrasile

Gavin,

Us 450SEL's have dual scales starting around 76. As for the p/n, the speedo's were used in both 107's and 116's and that is why you see a 107 p/n on there.

Tks,

Joe

laughoutlloyd8

My Grandmother bought the car here in California, so nope it's not from the UK. 

Just for kicks I put up a luftwaffe sign just to see how it would look

pompy

Awesome car.

Just look at how clear and bright those tail light lenses still are.

black450SEL

Cutting springs is no big deal.  The original springs were cut by the factory.  You just have to use water to keep them cool while you are cutting them.

Awesome car.  Definitely don't make any changes to the body or interior.

Type17

Quote from: black450SEL on 15 July 2011, 11:07 PM
Cutting springs is no big deal.  The original springs were cut by the factory.  You just have to use water to keep them cool while you are cutting them.

Awesome car.  Definitely don't make any changes to the body or interior.

Cutting springs is not a good idea - the spring rate gets messed up, and the car rides horribly. Additionally, if the spring has a closed end* and you cut it off, the tip of the remaining end-coil is under excess load that it isn't designed for, and often breaks off later.

*Closed end: the end(s) where the coils close up at each end, commonly used on vehicle coil springs to form a flat surface for the spring seats on the car body and/or suspension - see the ends of the spring in the pic below

'76 350SE in Silver-Green

black450SEL

No the spring rate doesn't get "messed up", and no the car won't ride horribly.

Is the spring stiffer? Yes.

Is that the same thing as being "messed up"? No.

Any aftermarket spring that is shorter must also be stiffer to prevent bottoming since it will have less travel.

How much stiffer it will be depends how much you cut off.  If you only cut half a coil, you will barely notice any difference in stiffness because that is only a small percent of all the coils.  If it has 10 coils and you cut off one, it will be about 10% more stiff.

You are right that you shouldn't cut the end off a spring with closed ends, but the springs on many struts and other springs are not closed anyway.

My 450SEL does not have closed ends, so go ahead and cut.  Just keep it cool and wet during cutting.

If you want the car one inch lower, only cut half an inch of spring.  Best to only cut half a coil and then test before you cut more.

Quote from: Type17 on 16 July 2011, 04:54 AM
Cutting springs is not a good idea - the spring rate gets messed up, and the car rides horribly. Additionally, if the spring has a closed end* and you cut it off, the tip of the remaining end-coil is under excess load that it isn't designed for, and often breaks off later.