News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Mud flaps on the w116?

Started by arman, 15 May 2010, 03:19 AM

Do you like my newly added rear mud flaps on MY w116?

No, it doesn't look good! Remove them please!
1 (5.6%)
It sort of makes the car look slow and boring...
2 (11.1%)
It leaves me indifferent...
2 (11.1%)
Well, I kinda like it. A little less naked in the rear...
4 (22.2%)
Perfect! Now that's how a classic black W116 should look like!
9 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 11

brettj

I like the look of the mud flaps. In fact, I've been thinking of putting some on my 450SE. Where can you purchase them?  Every car I have ever owned has had a set of mud flaps on it. I think they really help protect your fenders.

Arman, Is black the original color of your car? Black with a green interior is unusual. I do like the black color. It makes the chrome really stand out.

sannerud

I've never seen those metalbrackets you are talking about on my w116 cars arman. But if they original should be there, they have probably rusted away... But I found a white and "new" mudflap in my collection in the basement. Looks like it's the same type as mounted on my 280. Probably you could bye this at your Mercedes shop in the 70 and 80's, bend the metalflips like you want and then put them on yourself...??

sannerud

Quote from: flutes on 17 May 2010, 07:45 AM
Sannerud those shots are making me glad a live in warm climate away from the ocean!

Yes, winter in Norway is like hell to old Mercedes. My 280 is almost more rust than solid metal. But I've recently bought a welding machine, so wish me luck :)

Hemersam

Beautiful car, but why bother with the flaps? What do they accomplish? Just wondering.
Beverly

oscar

Pure coincidence but I saw these on aus ebay last night.Link   There's only a pic of a front one but it's exactly like the ones that were on my 350, even though they're for a w123.  Brand new $89AUD for four. 
The problem I found with these ones was that without some kind of metal strip holding them straight, the outer edges would 'dog-ear' inwards, especially during summer.  I think that was the main reason I took them off. Brett, I know my dad got them from a dealer back in 1990/91 but not sure where I'd get some these days.  I've been trying to find a photo of them fitted but can't.

I did find this one in my album, from an old ebay ad.  Looks like the ribbed and chrome badge style.  I remember seeing more of these than the painted star durng the 80s.  We lived rural, only 20kms out of a major country town but all gravel road as was a lot of other roads we travelled.  That was part of the reason we got them, to protect the sills/body work and like WGB said, they were common on country cars.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sannerud, a white one!  That's a first.  And good luck with the welder. 

1973 350SE, my first & fave

arman

Quote from: brettj on 17 May 2010, 09:51 AM
Arman, Is black the original color of your car? Black with a green interior is unusual. I do like the black color. It makes the chrome really stand out.

brettj the car is original black and has a green interior. And that is quite special even older MB experts here in Sweden have said that. But I think you could pick any combination you liked in those days for the money you had to pay. I think black cars normally have dark grey interiors.

Quote from: sannerud on 17 May 2010, 03:08 PM
I've never seen those metalbrackets you are talking about on my w116 cars arman. But if they original should be there, they have probably rusted away... But I found a white and "new" mudflap in my collection in the basement. Looks like it's the same type as mounted on my 280. Probably you could bye this at your Mercedes shop in the 70 and 80's, bend the metalflips like you want and then put them on yourself...??

Has nobody else these brackets standard on their cars (behind the rear wheel)? Or were they included when mud flaps were ordered from factory?
I've never seen white variants and I have seen quite some photo's the last few days on Internet  :P

Quote from: Hemersam on 17 May 2010, 04:58 PM
Beautiful car, but why bother with the flaps? What do they accomplish? Just wondering.
Beverly

Hemersam I knew I had them in my trunk and the front mud flaps always have been mounted. I liked the white stars on the rear ones and I think 'my car' with the hub caps, black paint looks more complete and it probably looks the way like it was ordered 36 years ago and I'm the fifth 'using' owner so it hasn't been changed a lot over the years. I have a datacard which was sent to me from the Classic Center but I can't really decipher that one. Maybe I should start a thread on that issue.

Quote from: oscar on 17 May 2010, 06:45 PM
Pure coincidence but I saw these on aus ebay last night.Link   There's only a pic of a front one but it's exactly like the ones that were on my 350, even though they're for a w123.  Brand new $89AUD for four. 
The problem I found with these ones was that without some kind of metal strip holding them straight, the outer edges would 'dog-ear' inwards, especially during summer.  I think that was the main reason I took them off. Brett, I know my dad got them from a dealer back in 1990/91 but not sure where I'd get some these days.  I've been trying to find a photo of them fitted but can't.

Hi Oscar your W123 flaps look much more 'modern' but even somewhat thinner and therefor more flexible/less stiff. You won't damage your car when you hit a kerb with those, but I wouldn't dare to try that with mine because they are stiff! But my 7mm thick solid rubber flaps won't get dog eared though. Do you think it's the strong sunlight causing this?
1974 W116 450 SEL 340.000km
Black exterior (040), olive green velours interior (966)
[url="http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/Armans450sel/"]http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/Armans450sel/[/url]

KenM

Sannerud, mate I thought I had some rust issues, I'm not complaining any more. Glad to hear you have a welding machine, you know you're gonna be the world's greatest welder when you're finished with that lot, I take my hat off to you.
All the best with it.

Cheers,
Ken

brettj

Arman,

Yes, I do believe you could get any color combination that you wanted . When my uncle bought my 450SE he ordered a color , deep blue, which was to no longer available for the 1975 model year even though my car was is a 1975 model. He also ordered a red MB Tex interior. I think that the red interior was only for SL models that year. So I guess if you speical ordered your car, you could get what you wanted.

Tony T

I like the mud flaps but oddly, I don't particularly like 116's and 123's in black.
I've got a black 124 but earlier models just don't appeal to me in that colour. Sorry............  :-\

That said, it is a very tidy car and has convinced me to get mud flaps for my 280.  ;D

arman

Quote from: brettj on 19 May 2010, 07:03 AM
Arman,

Yes, I do believe you could get any color combination that you wanted . When my uncle bought my 450SE he ordered a color , deep blue, which was to no longer available for the 1975 model year even though my car was is a 1975 model. He also ordered a red MB Tex interior. I think that the red interior was only for SL models that year. So I guess if you speical ordered your car, you could get what you wanted.

Well brettj I understand you don't want to sell your car because it has been running in the family. Nice for you to know it's history so well.
I have been able to track down the person who probably ordered the car back in 1974 for this certain company as 'representation' and I'm planning to contact him and asking some questions. Hopefully he's interested to answer, he is retired now I think.

Quote from: Tony T on 19 May 2010, 07:43 AM
I like the mud flaps but oddly, I don't particularly like 116's and 123's in black.
I've got a black 124 but earlier models just don't appeal to me in that colour. Sorry............  :-\

That said, it is a very tidy car and has convinced me to get mud flaps for my 280.  ;D

Don't be sorry Tony I know that when you look at the pictures every day for a fortnight you'll like black much better :)
Nice to hear that you are inspired to buy them yourself!
1974 W116 450 SEL 340.000km
Black exterior (040), olive green velours interior (966)
[url="http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/Armans450sel/"]http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/Armans450sel/[/url]

Yesmar

im a fan of the mudflaps
- Ramsey