News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

MB-TEX???

Started by Andrew280SEL, 24 February 2007, 11:57 PM

Andrew280SEL

Hi all.

I was reading about interiors, and I'm just wondering what is MB-TEX exactly? I would know what a cloth interior looks like, but how far different is MB-TEX to Leather (other than materials of course, BUT to LOOK at?)

Just wondering, cant hurt to expand knowledge!  :)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

Des

MB TEX = MB texture a highly hard wearing fake leather that will outlast the average leather interior and most people myself including have trouble telling the difference, MB TEX seems to feel a little bit plastic, leather is more soft and smooth.

this is what a cloth/velor interior looks like.

Andrew280SEL

Hey Thanks Des!

Thats good to know.
I'll have to go and feel up my cars seats now to determine what it has. Its a kind of tan colour i guess. But I suspect it'll be MB-TEX seeing as the car is a 280.
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

Brian Crump

Andrew, MB Tex looks remarkably like leather. It has a similar grain and feel but not the same warmth and smell. It wears extrmemly well and cleans up like new, even after 20 years of abuse. However, on a hot day you stick to it and know it's not real leather. Our 1986 230E had cream MB Tex and when we sold it last year it still looked like it was brand new. The 2007 version looks even more like leather. It was an expensive option during the 70s and 80s and it stood up well to ultra violet light.
I read an article recently in the Drive section of the Sydney Morning Herald where the jouralist criticised MB for producing a plastic product and calling it by a 'fancy name'. That journalist never had kids or dogs in the car - MB Tex is a wonderful product, except on a hot sticky day when you have been to the beach and you get back in the car. Mind you, suntan oil and sand can't kill it like they can fabric or leather....
Basically it is an imitation leather - vinyl backed by cloth. It's just that MB Tex is far superior to the vinyl that went into Australian cars.
Regards,
Brian

Des

HEY!!!!

You are from Tasmania as well!!

I just noticed that!
:) Welcome to a fellow Tassie member, not enough of us here.

Andrew280SEL

Thanks Brian and Styria.
Ive never had to experience the stickyness because of the sheepskins, which has done well to preserve the seats, though by the sounds of what your saying the MB-TEX would last well anyway.

And Des,
Yeah, I think you may be the only other Tassie Ive seen here! I thought the plate on your car in the picture looked Tasmanian but I wasnt sure at the time. Yours may very well be the only 6.9 in the state too. :o :)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

Brian Crump

We are impressed, Styria. We expect the Godfather to be mutli lingual (as well as urbane, sophisticated and handy with a spanner...) ;D
BC

Des

Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 25 February 2007, 12:19 AM
And Des,
Yeah, I think you may be the only other Tassie Ive seen here! I thought the plate on your car in the picture looked Tasmanian but I wasnt sure at the time. Yours may very well be the only 6.9 in the state too. :o :)

I have recently learn't of the existence of 4 other 6.9's here, 1 is wrecked, that I'm planning to have a look over in a few weeks. There is a guy that goes to my local mechanic that owns 2, a green one like mine and a blue one on LPG  ::)

Talking to some chaps last weekend there is also one up in Devonport somewhere.

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: Des on 25 February 2007, 12:28 AM

I have recently learn't of the existence of 4 other 6.9's here, 1 is wrecked, that I'm planning to have a look over in a few weeks. There is a guy that goes to my local mechanic that owns 2, a green one like mine and a blue one on LPG  ::)

Talking to some chaps last weekend there is also one up in Devonport somewhere.

Wow, I never would have imagined. You just dont see em anywhere. But thats great to know, at least they are around. Love to get one some day, may be a while though. Apparently the engine on its own costs at least AU$7000. ;)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

Brian Crump

Sorry for hi-jacking another thread, yet again.
Styria - that port sounds grand. Oscar is in the right part of Australia to be a Godfather - but is he The Godfather?
Auto Italia is a fun day. I've just been down to Canberra for the Canberra Royal and for me it is less than 3 hours door to door. I do wish the ML had that wonderful MB Tex though......would be wonderful for the Hounds of Hell.
BC

WGB

In the past cloth was the cheapest, M-B Tex the next expensive then Velour and then Leather (Maybe leather then Vellour).

Short of cigarette butts and car fires the material is indestructible - the best for an old car there is available.

Bill

Des

Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 25 February 2007, 12:34 AM

Wow, I never would have imagined. You just dont see em anywhere. But thats great to know, at least they are around. Love to get one some day, may be a while though. Apparently the engine on its own costs at least AU$7000. ;)

Fairly tired examples appear on ebay every few weeks for $3-8k,
To get something average you would want to allow $13-16k
anything above that should be in pretty good nick,

To be realistic I would say you would want $20k to get the best example you can find, no rust, full history etc,

Des

Quote from: WGB on 25 February 2007, 12:45 AM
In the past cloth was the cheapest, M-B Tex the next expensive then Velour and then Leather (Maybe leather then Vellour).

Short of cigarette butts and car fires the material is indestructible - the best for an old car there is available.

Bill

My understanding is that Leather was more expensive than Velour

Brian Crump

One real difference between the appearance of leather and MBT is that leather channels running down the seat (what are they called?) are stitched and the MBT ones are heat formed. At the moment you can buy a C class Benz with MBT for less than leather but if you want an S class that comes with leather, then MBT is an extra cost.....the explanation lies in what MB has installed on the production run as compared to what it would cost them to do a special order.
BC

Brian Crump

Pleats sounds good; the port sounds better!!
BC