News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Lowering Help

Started by Balfour, 22 April 2019, 07:34 AM

Balfour

I know the following won't please the purists but I am thinking about lowering my 350Se a couple of inches...
I don't want to 'slam it' just lower it enough to make the front wheels fit the arch a bit better.

Has anyone here done this with any level of success or does anyone know of a kit or guidance notes we could follow to make this a successful mod?

floyd111

if I remember well, MB has always offered a range of ride height spacers for the W116 shocks

Balfour

Quote from: floyd111 on 22 April 2019, 01:02 PM
if I remember well, MB has always offered a range of ride height spacers for the W116 shocks

That sounds interesting. Bearing in mind I am totally useless when it comes to working on cars, do you have any more info?

rumb

Spacers are for the springs and usually used to raise the car  to compensate for worn out springs.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

floyd111

As much as I value your regular wisdom, Rumb, are you sure about this?
I remember reading about raising height choices for MB owners who tend to carry families and other heavy loads on a regular bases, and in that way are given a choice of spacers.
I am unfamiliar with W116 springs sagging issues. As an Ohlins man, we have no demand from people with sagging springs, only from people who want a different spec spring for some reason.
We do have people worrying about old springs, but the testers do not show any actual loss of strength.

TJ 450

That sounds odd at best, I'm aware of the rubber shims for the springs. I believe these compensate for small differences in height between springs.

For lowering, your best bet is to look for some springs designed for the purpose, as cutting the original springs is far from optimal.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

floyd111

I should have added more than "I am unfamiliar", because there are virtually no classic cars here, and I very much doubt we had any customers with cars over 15 years ever contacting us. Hence my uncertainty.
My own W116 springs were tested and no sag, wear or tear was detected. Made me think they're indestructible.

irvine

I'm in the same boat, I believe the w116 just looks odd with the standard ride height.
There are various methods some easy some more complex.
You can do a basic back yard
"Bosch lowering spring" where you use a Bosch grinder and cut off a coil or 2.

Secondly there are lowering springs available still for the w116 but in my experience they usually are rubbish.
They never "settle" to the desired ride height any you will end up still cutting a coil off.

Saving the beat till last......
There are 2 very popular companies selling complete "bolt in" air ride kits. With these there is NO cutting, welding, drilling like most universal kits.
My mate has just fitted one to his w114 and it's perfect.

I'm thinking of just cutting a coil or 2 off my springs, until I save up for the air ride kit.
Let's face it a w116 is not a sports car, hell the 6.9 isn't all that fast either. They are Simpson cruises around town, taken to shows etc so cut springs will not really effect a noticeable difference.

irvine

Sorry forgot to mention the 2 air ride companies.
Bags by ocd

Airride.lt.

The ocd kit is ran with an electronic management which will monitor the air pressure, ride height etc and at the push of a button raise, lower or standard height.

The airride.lt is traditional switch and pressure gauge where you press the switches yourself for the desired height.
This is the one on my mates w114 and he has used extra original w114 dash switches "push/pull" for the air ride control.

Neil.

Balfour

Quote from: irvine on 23 April 2019, 02:16 AM

The airride.lt is traditional switch and pressure gauge where you press the switches yourself for the desired height.
This is the one on my mates w114 and he has used extra original w114 dash switches "push/pull" for the air ride control.

Thanks for the info Neil,

I'm getting a couple of results searching for airride.it, do you know if it is the company that only seems to be on facebook?

Brad

TJ 450

Yes, the stock height is definitely on the high side, great for rough roads but quite conservative in appearance. The benefit of the air ride setup is of course that you can change it to whatever you want and still have functioning suspension.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

irvine

Yea he's currently just dealing on Facebook but a complete webpage etc is in the works.
I know of a lot of merc's And bmw in the uk and now a number here using him.

Neil.

Balfour

Just got a price back from Airride - €2399!
Think I may just go down the lowering springs route or search for a coilover kit.

Don't really need the car to go up and down, just want a lower stance...