News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Life has some funny twists and turns

Started by WGB, 27 May 2012, 07:47 AM

WGB

My 450 SEL has sat gathering dust in it's primer coat for some five years and gradually plugs have fouled and power steering has stopped powering and I have twice purchased the paint but never got going on the top coat.

Now that my 6.9 is as good as I will probably get it my thoughts were turning to the long neglected 450 as either a repeat test of fortitude or an ebay project.

It was a pretty good runner when I decided to de-rust and repaint but parked in a shed doesn't do these cars many favours.

It turns out my daughter has a new fella and is turning into a prospective son-in-law. It also turns out that he is a spray painter and is obviously trying to impress his prospective new father-in-law.

So out rolled the car in primer - some new plugs restored it to an 8 cylinder - some power steering fluid and a lot of gurgling restored the power steer and out came the sandpaper.

The paint (purchased twice as the first tin went hard) was still quite usable as well so I hope to have a silbergrun code 861 to go with my silver 6.9 in a couple of weeks.

Bill

nathan

ha ha,
ive been waiting for this thing to happen.
from a man with as much dedication as yourself, its baffled me how its taken so long!
cant wait to see it in all its grun-ious glory!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

Mforcer

I understand your situation completely. The work on my own car has stalled as the removal of the underbody rubber is just painful. All the removable panels have been mostly stripped and primed but no more. The difference is that I don't have another W116 (or any car) to enjoy and so withdrawal symptoms will soon help me push through the pain.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

WGB

I didn't realise that it was actually over five years - March 2007.

I found some pictures in the W116 archives of the original primer shoot - after this I sanded it all off and shot it again followed by a black guide coat.

Bill

motec6.9

Hi Bill good to hear about work recommencing i know the feeling as work has stopped on my car for the moment. But i may be able to give your future prospect some work in the new year  :)
Euro 6.9 255.6hp at the wheels. Watch this space.

scraf

.... you're just getting to the fun bit !

s class

Cool stuff, I had wondered about this project. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

WGB

Another motive for advancement from both my son in-laws (prospective or otherwise)  is that down the back of my shed is a 1938 Ford Deluxe V8 that I started restoring in 1982 when I lived in NZ and then brought to Australia when I emigrated in 1985.

They both know that everything else has to be completed before I recommence work on the Ford.

I know it is really the Ford they are interested in.

Bill

KenM

Quote from: WGB on 28 May 2012, 07:49 PM

I know it is really the Ford they are interested in.

Bill

No flies on you Dr Bill, make the buggers work for it, take no prisoners. I applaud your strategy and look forward to employing same myself one day, one must after all be entitled to have some revenge for

having had daughters.