News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

License Plate Holders for Euro Bumpers

Started by oscar, 10 October 2008, 10:41 AM

oscar

Something I've been meaning to do ever since I've had my 350 was to get the correct license plate holders for the front.   I've wondered whether many w116's out there have suffered the same fate as my 350 where the original plate holders have been lost or broken but rather than replaced, have had holes needlessly drilled into the bumper to screw the license plate onto.  Seeing that 4 of the 5 w116's that have passed into my posession, have had their front bumpers mutilated in this way I reckon it might be a common thing but it need not be.

The original holders, part number A1168100614, cost me about $11AUD each.  The only problem is that they didn't come with screws and as soon as I get a screw that fits I'll post the size.

Here's what happens when a mechanic comes up with a solution rather than buying two $11 parts

Another example of needless drilling

Here's what the original correct holders look like

And here's how the original holders fit.  The smaller part of the holder goes into the "keyhole" of the bumper and slides along.    The license plate sits against the larger section of the holder and a screw goes through the plate into the brass coloured threaded section.  License plate and holder become clamped onto the bumper.

Don't know whether I'm a minority here but if you're missing the holders and are on the verge of making your own mount, do yourself a favour and buy the real thing and save your bumper. 

1973 350SE, my first & fave

Big_Richard

nathan

how lazy are these dumbasses?
ive never seen holes drilled before Oscar,
that is poor form...
all the 116s weve had had some/most of the plate holders, only problem is the threaded section seems to break loose and spin freely so you cant use them!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

koan

Don't know how concerned you are about having your plates stolen (big in Melbourne for for petrol drive offs) but I came up an arrangement to deter theft.

A piece of 2 mm thick stainless steel sheet same size of the number plate with a couple of suitably positioned holes to suit the key hole slots in the bumper. Use the number plate as a template and drill holes around the edge of the stainless steel sheet for pop rivets.  Mount the stainless sheet to the bumper using the proper mounts (oscar pics) with Locktite and stainless steel screws then pop rivet the number plate on.

This lets the plate sit central on the bumper rather than hanging below it.

My old plate had a couple holes drilled or butchered through the middle, obviously done by a partly trained monkey as they weren't even horizontal. Very attractive.

Did a similar thing on the back.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

oscar

You're right Pat.  Screws were a machine thread and whilst the engineering shop that I wanted to go to to get the proper sizing nomenclature was closed today, I went to a Supercheap Auto and some kid was kind enough to open a few sealed packs of screws until we found one that fitted.  I left 'em at work and can't remember the size but not hard to find something that fits.  I got stainless steel bolts in the end.

Quote from: nathan on 10 October 2008, 09:01 PM
how lazy are these dumbasses?

For the 350 it all started when my dad stopped going to a delaer for services during the early 1990's and started using Supermarket oil, neglecting services and visiting village mechanics when something did go wrong.  The same douchebag that screwed the iron bar to the bumper also "refurbished" the license plates with paint and a brush to bring them back to life.  ::) ::)   
This is a pic not long after I got the car nearly 5 years ago.   Hmmm, an impressionistic take of a license plate. ;D

koan, not a bad idea.  Another advantage of a custom backing plate - for my State the positioning between the 4 holes that are predrilled into the current front plate do not lend themselves to a centrally aligned fitment of the license plate.  Either a distant hole at one end and a closer to the centre hole on the other end is required to use these license holders in the first instance, or, two further custom holes can be drilled in the license plate to make sure the holders position the plate centrally.  A backing plate with custom holes for the plate holders would allow the factory holes of the license plate to be used for attachment to the backing plate.

Yesmar

does one know where i can find those plate holders for the key slots?
- Ramsey

Big_Richard

pez

I got mine from the MB Classic center...they have them in stock.

Yesmar

Great thank you theyll be here in a week!
- Ramsey

Big_Richard

oscar

It was easy to find the correct screws off one of those racks in an auto shop but I bought a few different packets and be damned if I can remember which one I used.  Metric thread, M8 or M10.  I've forgotten.

TJ 450

I think it's M4 from memory. I would use Pan-Head SS machine screws with some anti-seize.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

oscar

M4 ?? Hmmmm, I better check tomorrow in case I'm telling furphys.  I remember not being able to get SS screws so I had to use shiny ones  ::) just not sure if they're zinced or what but I'll check

13B

450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

Yesmar

we have plenty of different size screws at the our shop
- Ramsey