The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

License Plate Holders for Euro Bumpers

Started by oscar, 10 October 2008, 10:41 AM

koan

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

oscar

How about M5 ::)

Unfortunately, the packet of screws I did use I couldn't find, but the screws are phillips head and about 15mm long and since they are the same pitch as the SS ones below I'm guessing they're M5.

I'm not good at reading codes on screw packets but I assume these are machine thread 5mm and 25mm long (5x25).  I didn't use these ones because I thought they were a bit too long and I preferred a phillips head rather than hex but otherwise they screw in just fine.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

koan

That's it oscar, they are 5mm, found my old mounts today and measured them.

Thought they were much smaller, 4mm or so, you were close 13B

I have some countersunk head 5mm screws with hex (allen) key holes, pretty sure they are s/steel. Happy to post a few out if anyone can use them.

koan

BAR

Bunnings will have a huge range of stainless steel 'bolts' - a screw has a tapered section and will fix into the material due to the increased diameter / depth of thread.  Bolts fix with a nut.

I recommend stainless for obvious reasons.

Get a few packs of M4 and M5 bolts some washers and nuts to suit.  There are many applications for them with your W116.

Being European, all bolts in the car are Metric and standard engineering thread.  M2, M3, M4 etc.  You can also get high tensile nuts and bolts for spares as well.

TJ 450

AFAIK, a set screw, or a machine screw is a "bolt" that has thread all the way to the head. A "bolt" has the upper section of shank smooth, with no thread. ;)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

koan

Quote from: TJ 450 on 12 January 2009, 11:51 PM

AFAIK, a set screw, or a machine screw is a "bolt" that has thread all the way to the head. A "bolt" has the upper section of shank smooth, with no thread. ;)

Never worked out what's a screw and what's a bolt, or what the proper term is for a head that takes an allen key is, a hex bolt?

Just to confuse things what you call a machine screw I call a bolt and what you call a bolt I call a shoulder bolt.

But I don't call a shovel a spade ;)

koan

s class

Just to make it worse, when you order fasteners from MB, anything with threads on it seems to be called a 'screw' whether its a self tapper, a bolt, a machine screw, or even an allen head fastner.  As far as they are concerned, 'screw' includes the pseudo-threaded plastic thingys used to secure interior trim on the 90's benzes. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

13B

Quotewhat the proper term is for a head that takes an allen key is, a hex bolt?

Cap-heads are what I call them.

"Can I have a dozen M6 by 25mm SS cap-heads thanks?" I go to boltmasters in Tullamarine.

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

TJ 450

Quote from: 13B on 13 January 2009, 07:13 AM
Quotewhat the proper term is for a head that takes an allen key is, a hex bolt?

Cap-heads are what I call them.

"Can I have a dozen M6 by 25mm SS cap-heads thanks?" I go to boltmasters in Tullamarine.

I.
Interesting, they are normally referred to as "socket head", but "cap head" sounds fair enough. Be sure not to say "cup head" though. ;D 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Yesmar

got mine all set up, took me a while to find a METAL number plate tray  not plastic painted chrome
i think i looks good
- Ramsey