News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Left side driver's seat removal

Started by 1980450sel, 24 November 2009, 09:45 AM

TJ 450

Excellent.

The anodized aluminium handle sounds like a great idea... great ideas are always welcome! ;)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

koan

Quote from: 1980450sel on 30 November 2009, 11:38 PM
As far as a replacement handle goes I was thinking of having a machinist friend make me one or two out of aluminum and then get them anodized black. Will I get kicked out of the forum if I don't use all original MB parts? Just wondering. ::)

Not if you are taking orders for black anodiized replacement seat handles :)

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

oscar

Also oscar there was no 5th bolt holding the seat down in my particular car.

As far as a replacement handle goes I was thinking of having a machinist friend make me one or two out of aluminum and then get them anodized black. Will I get kicked out of the forum if I don't use all original MB parts? Just wondering. ::)

Thanks for the update, I went and put a strikethru all my misleading bits  ::)

Cast and polished or annodised alloy handles.  8) 8) 8)  That's just up there in my books for ingenuity and coolness as it's also better than original whilst maintaining the original look.  Ditto what koan says, you might find yourself taking orders.

Here's a link to the bolt on handles.  http://forum.w116.org/interiors-and-exteriors/height-adjustment-handle-replacement/ They're strong enough but gimme metal ones  ;D
1973 350SE, my first & fave

SELfor50

Quote from: oscar on 01 December 2009, 12:45 AM
Also oscar there was no 5th bolt holding the seat down in my particular car.

Thanks for the update, I went and put a strikethru all my misleading bits  ::)

Cast and polished or annodised alloy handles.  8) 8) 8)  That's just up there in my books for ingenuity and coolness as it's also better than original whilst maintaining the original look.  Ditto what koan says, you might find yourself taking orders.

Here's a link to the bolt on handles.  http://forum.w116.org/interiors-and-exteriors/height-adjustment-handle-replacement/ They're strong enough but gimme metal ones  ;D

Me 3!!  I had a custom one made for the track car... but it was a piece of metal, bent in a circle.. and welded on..  It's race car tuff, but I wouldn't put it in a restorer..  :-\

Let us know if you're taking orders... ;)

Cam.

1980450sel

Okay I'll let everyone know if he'll make them up. I just thought why replace the broken handle with one that will obviously break again. I should know in a few days how viable this will be.

Thanks for the replies,

Scott

koan

Quote from: oscar on 01 December 2009, 12:45 AM
Ditto what koan says, you might find yourself taking orders.

I was joking - the smiley thing at the end of the line was meant to convey that. I wouldn't impose on anyone - not to that extent at least ;)

The replacement plastic handles are adequate and the OEM handles I suspect would survive if the seats are removed and the sliders given some attention, removing 30 years of dust and a bit of lubricant, something dry so it won't build up more gunge.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

1980450sel

Just an update, the old broken height adjustment handle and lever are now at the machine shop and a prototype is in the works. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Scott

CraigS

Interesting that no one has mentioned the arm that holds the seat belt, which also needs to be removed before the seat will come out.

[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

1980450sel

Yes that's a good point, fortunately I noticed that before I start lifting the seat out. BTW that's a cool pic of the seat exploded!

Scott

1980450sel

Quote from: TJ 450 on 25 November 2009, 11:03 AM
It would be interesting to see a photo of the height adjustment on the passenger's side. ;)

Tim

Here's a photo of the passenger side height adjustment. Don't forget this is a LHD vehicle and hasn't been cleaned yet. ::)

Scott

1980450sel

Finally, I have an Aluminum height adjustment handle! Hooray!

I have to bevel the bolt holes and polish it up some more before it goes to the annodizer guys, but I think my friend did a pretty nice job shaping it. This one it is done pretty much all by hand, any others will be much easier as the college I work at has a machine that makes 3D CAD files. I don't know how serious anyone one was about getting one of these handles, but if you are please let me know and I can start the process. This would be only for a price estimate with no commitment and I would not be doing this for any personal gain or profit. Send me a PM if your interested.

Scott